Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Master BATH FINALLY DONE!

 The pictures in this post are turning out to be a trainwreck just like this project.  Derek has theorized (hopefully) that because this project was so difficult from start to finish that I will retire from home projects indefinitely.  HA.  HA.  Ha.  ha.  ha.....fading laugh.  He might be right.  This project almost broke my will to ever attempt anything (and I mean anything) again.
I ranted a few weeks ago about how we were almost done and then had to reorder the countertop.  2 weeks later I called to see when it was coming and OOOPS.  They hadn't ordered it.  Then, 3 weeks later (due to snow delays in Texas) it finally arrived.  It took the plumber 2 visits to get the faucet installed so that it wasn't leaking underneath.  Derek had trouble putting the door back up because I had somehow managed to throw away the hardware to hang it.  Bathfitter had to come back 2 times to try and stop the shower door from spewing out water when you opened it after the shower (it is better, but not perfect).  I broke one 48x36 mirror trying to hang it without brackets (apparently this can be done, youtube says so, but I will never attempt it again).  I won't even tell you which of the towel racks are crooked or imperfectly hung (okay, I will, all of them). and I the floor has a few paint flecks here and there.  Especially where I was touching up the baseboards and somehow the newspaper got stuck to the baseboard and in my freak out to try and fix it...well, anyway.  This bathroom has been a thorn in my side since Dec. 23rd when I started ripping down the wallpaper.  I still need a clock and a shelf.  But I am going to give it a rest and focus on yoga (BREATHE!) and on being a mom and cooking healthy meals and keeping my house cleaner so that no little 2 year old guest comes up and tells his mom and dad he is eating an m&m he found under my couch.  OUCH!


Vanity before.  Under this tile was a thick layer of cement and chicken wire.  So hard to get off, especially of the wall.  Yuck.  
This is the underlayer of wallpaper.  Pretty sure it was a beautiful metallic.  I bet the ceiling had a metallic color at one point too.  
Midway through the process.  Or so I thought.  Actually I was months away from finishing.  
The beautiful purple lights. 
3 paint color attempts.  The one on your right was the winner.  

The bags, remnants of the tile, cement and chicken wire shower. 

What the old shower looked like.  Never wallpaper your bathroom.  Behind this wall paper was disgusting MOLD.  

Just so you can see the amazingly gross grout around the countertop tiles, and the "beautiful" purple details.  
TADA!  The finished bathroom.  It was Derek's idea to paint the vanity blue.  And I love it.

The new shower.  I looks like tile, but it isn't.  So no grout to get moldy!  It has an amazing fan that sucks the moisture right out and has a nice bright light (which I love), or a dimmer light (which Derek likes).

More views...

More views... So relieved it is over!

2 comments:

Sleepless In St. George said...

Wow! What an amazing transformation

Taylor said...

Looks gorgeous. The blue is incredible. Now that I have had to spruce up our super old (1930s) apartment, I am even more in awe of your hard work on your home. You are super woman.