Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Libby's first Band Concert

All 5th and 6th grade students play an instrument in the band or orchestra in our district.  (I love this, because it is my planning time!)  The teachers have the kids try out all the instruments and the best fit for Libby was the clarinet.  I was so happy it is not the cello, or french horn, or something else huge.  
Until the Christmas piano recital, our focus had to be entirely on piano.  Then we let Libby quit piano to focus on clarinet. 
A huge bonus is that Emma, Libby's cousin, plays the clarinet and loves it!  So she has been giving lessons to Libby on most Fridays after school.  Libby is actually starting to sound good!  Less squeaking/squawking.  More notes. 
For the first concert, I had very low expectations.  I mean I know how much Libby practices, and how much my students DO NOT do very much homework at home.  But they actually sounded quite good--considering.  
(The orchestra played a few songs by plucking, and they sounded great doing that.  Ben and Sarah have decided they will do orchestra for sure.  When the orchestra used their bows, however, they sounded about like the band.)  
We went out to dinner beforehand because we needed a quick meal. (We were also hosting Japanese Junior National Team Coaches that night--it was a complicated week.)  And Libby forgot her instrument.  So Derek had to bring it over.  Par for the course this year. 



Libby and her bestie Stella in matching striped dresses.  
Side note on the dress Libby is wearing.  She took it into the fitting room, but didn't try it on (and didn't tell me that).  She just had me buy it.  Then she didn't want to wear it because it didn't look like it would fit.  URGH!  I am never buying her clothes again (I said, but of course I can't actually do this).  So I forced her to put it on.  And low and behold, it fits and looks great.  Sigh.

No comments: