Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, October 20, 2019

5th Grade Camp

This week was 5th Grade Camp @ Camp Orkila.  It was a lot of work to get this rolling.  I didn't even do most of it, but it was still exhausting.  And I think it was pretty much worth it.  It was good for the kids to get away and have some fun.  Sarah got to be with all the people she requested in her cabin.  And she spent time with them, but she also had fun just being Sarah.
They did a huge birthday song--a very full lodge on the first night.  She loved it!    



We had 5 cabins of girls.  4 of them had heat and electricity.  Sarah's did not.  She didn't complain though, just enjoyed herself.   

I got to be a hunter for Life in the Forest.  It was pretty exhausting running around trying to hit kids with pool noodles.  I only managed to catch a couple!  I also played about an hour of Captain's ball on the first night.  It was fun! 
On our only full day of camp, I spent most of the day with a sick camper.  My principal and I drove her to the ferry.  Then I walked on with her (on a ferry that was an hour late) and took her to her mom.  I then waited an hour and rode the ferry back.  I was highly productive though (as you knew I would be).  My principal and I had our goal meeting on the ferry.  I got lots of lesson planning done during the morning and on the ferry.  It was like a little gift of individual time.
It was also fun getting to know the other teachers better.  If I were going to be teaching 5th grade again (and that could happen if I don't get hired by the Middle School), I would tweak a few things--like go somewhere without a ferry!  But overall, it was a good experience.  Exhausting.  But good.  Luckily the rain held off. We had some crazy rocking on the ferry home.  And, it literally started pouring about 15 minutes after all the kids got picked up from the school.  We made it. Whew!
And then back to school the next day. 

No comments: