Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, October 27, 2019

Cross Country Champs Meet

Libby ran really well this Cross Country season.  Does she love running?  No.  What is her plan to stay in shape? "Ugh mom, I'm not going to actually run long distances."  She took 48th in the 7th grade girls.  Which was the 7th place Einstein girl--meaning she placed for her team. 
But as parents, our goals for cross country were:
To help her accomplish something that was hard.  At the first of the season she couldn't even run more than a lap.  She finished running two miles in 16:16, so...CHECK.
To make friends with a lot of great kids.  She said, "Mom, this cross country team is like my family."  CHECK.
And to keep her busy afterschool.  CHECK.  She was so busy that fitting in everything was tight.  But she LOVES to stay up late.  So she got her wish several nights when she needed to stay up late and do homework.
It was all around a WIN.
She is still debating trying out for volleyball.  It is a cut sport, so she might not make it.  I'm not forcing this one.  But I'm strongly suggesting it.
For all the same good reasons.



As for spectating, I'm not a fan of standing around in the cold to see your runner zip by occasionally.  But I am super inspired by runners...I even got a little teary watching kids really push themselves.  So I'm willing to be a little (or a lot) chilly for that. I'm looking forward to track season.

No comments: