Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, October 6, 2019

October is Here!

And all of a sudden it's October!  This week was a bit of a blur, again. Until 5th grade camp and Student Council Elections are over, it will be crazytown.  This week Sarah was selected by the committee to serve on the Executive Committee.  I was so relieved that they chose her.  I didn't want to have to tell her she didn't make it.  But now that we spent a few hours making posters, I sort of wish she hadn't...But she is really excited.  I'm excited that this is the last time (hopefully) that I'll be doing this.  I need a break from Student Council whether I move to the middle school next year or not. 
I'm quite proud of Sarah's posters.  I came up with the Vice/Nice rhyme and she got the best ideas!  

This is what Ben has been wanting to do all weekend.  He got a new book and wants to read all the time.  

I got a new iPhone.  Not the 11.  I waited until the 11 came out so I could finally get a 10.  Huge upgrade from the SE that I've been holding onto.  But literally huge.  I wanted an XS but ended up with an XR because I wanted more memory, not realizing it was the bigger size.  Sigh.  That's what I get for buying it online.  Anyway, there has been a bit of a learning curve.  I keep taking accidental screenshots.  Here's one of me talking to Libby on speaker.  

And one showing my partially finished podcast.  
 The transition was so smooth.  My old phone just loaded wirelessly onto my new phone.  The only problem I'm still having is that my van won't sync with the new phone.  So don't call me when I'm driving. 

Saturday I listened to conference while I cleaned out our tomato patch. It was a hot mess.  I have a lot of tomatoes to use up.  Once school started, I couldn't get out there to get them!  Then I cleaned out the fridge, and put up a new keyboard drawer on the desk.  And ran a bunch of errands in between sessions. 

 Meanwhile, Libby is in Utah surrounded by her awesome Grandmothers!  They went with Aunt Arvae to the General Women's Meeting.  While I was watching it, I got teary every time I thought about her being there with them.  So amazing!  It was also really quiet around here only having 2 kids to parent.  Libby did call several times.  I think she misses us. 
I woke up at my standard wake up time now (4:50 am) and started in on school stuff today.  My goal this year is to keep school work during the school week.  Not happening just yet.  But I'm hopeful?  I try especially not to have to work on Sunday.  But since I got in 5 + hours of church yesterday watching conference, I figured I could catch up on school stuff in before and in between sessions today.  I'm pretty excited about what I'm teaching this week.  And I'm reading a book called Powerful Teaching Tools (or something like that) that is giving me all kinds of good ideas to help kids actually remember what I teach. 
Next weekend we are heading to Birch Bay/Canada.  Then 5th Grade Camp.  Pray for dry weather.  Right now the forecast is 50 degrees and raining.  Who attempts to camp in WA?

No comments: