Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, August 15, 2021

Girls Camp 2021

 We decided early on not to try to do a sleepover camp this year. Covid made it way to tricky last year (when we planned and replanned camp like 3 or 4 times.). So we just decided on day camp.  And still--we had to plan and replan.  Construction and closures were our biggest challenge.  But in the end, we ended up with a fun schedule.  We had lots of variety. Time for the spirit and time for fun.  

I'm proud of how it all came together.  

Highlights for me?  

I taught them partner tag...and at first they were confused by it...and whiny--it was hot.  But then the girls played it several times when there was down time. Joyfully.  That made me happy.

All the greeting activities worked out well.  Getting the girls mingling.

The clipboard schedule idea was great.  (I was the one who kept losing my clipboard though...)

Last minute decorations worked out great.  Loved them. I hope someone took pictures.  I'm going to try and get a google album together.

The relay race with the sponges was on a really hot afternoon.  So I said that the girls could dump the bucket they filled on their YCLs.  The YCLs handled it great.  The girls were super motivated and it was fun!  I love it when last minute inspiration creates a perfect pivot! 

Discovery park had me really nervous.  But it worked out so well.  The air quality was sketchy, so there was plenty of parking and we had the park almost totally to ourselves! It was perfect weather down there...and the girls really enjoyed the beach art. The hike up was hard...but it was mentioned in almost every testimony! 

I was exhausted every evening.  But it was worth it.  I only wish my girls could have been there the whole time.  They both missed Thursday morning (a great mental health lesson).  And Libby missed Saturday (service at the temple, testimony. meeting & ward time.)

I'm thankful for this chance to serve and use my talents.  It also always strengthens my testimony that God directs us as we seek to do his work!




No comments: