Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, December 19, 2021

And now COVID

 Well, after a week of performances and competitions, now Derek has COVID.  Ugh.  He luckily realized it quickly and isolated in the house.  I was really worried, since I'd been around him on Sunday night when he was already first having symptoms (without realizing it).  So I stayed home from school as soon as he got a positive test.  Ben also had to stay home from school Wed-Friday, even if we tested negative because he still isn't vaccinated (it's been hard to get an appointment or make it to the walk-in clinic).  Even after I got a negative test on Thursday, I stayed home until I could get a 2nd test on Friday. Wrestling around the state has had a huge number of cases (although none of the kids that Derek has been working closely with are positive...and the girls team hasn't had any cases.) So this week went from jam packed to NOTHING.  Cancelled matches and tournaments.  Skipping youth wrestling, water polo and the youth activities. 

Derek was pretty sick for a couple of days.  He had a fever and chills and lots of cold symptoms.  He was super weak.  But he's on the mend now.  

I wrote 3 days of sub plans (thankfully I was able to get actual subs for 2 of the three days and my principal and the instructional coach filled in for the other day). This is when project based teaching is handy.  Kids had stuff they were working on and my coach said she could have just set up a Mrs. Norton cut out in the front and the kids could have run it themselves.

Anyway, the flashbacks to the confusion and frustrations to the beginning of the pandemic were very very real.  But, it's only temporary I kept telling myself.  Everyone but Derek tested negative.  2x.   So hopefully just a few more days of Derek hiding out upstairs.  We miss him!

Ben was a pretty good sport about missing so much fun at school.  He entertained himself by writing this song.  So, we've been hanging out.  And we will still be hanging out for a couple more days.  We had to cancel the caroling party (tonight) and the White Elephant Party (tomorrow night).  It's going to be a very relaxed week.  Just hoping Derek's clear so we can host Christmas Eve!





No comments: