Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, September 24, 2023

Fall Sports!

We're back to being a swimming family!  We did a couple years of rec summer league swimming, and I loved it.  The kids also liked it.  But then COVID and they closed our community pool.  But when the girls decided to do swim team I was so excited.  It's made life totally chaotic.  But worth it!  Derek drives to practice at SW.  Then Libby takes his car and drives Sarah to practice.  So then later I have to go pick him up (or drop a car for him) as he is usually done before they are.  (Their practice is from 4:30 to 6:00 pm.) And meets are before my school even gets out--at 3:00 or 3:30 pm on Tues/Thurs.  So I've got someone covering my class so I can skip out early.  I get no after school planning time on those days...so it's a bit of a mess.  But Derek can't cover it, so I'm in!  (And it's super fun to watch.)  

Our team has 50+ swimmers, so its a big team. It's reunited Sarah with one of her fav elementary school friends (whose mom works with me--and I LOVE :). Libby feels like she's getting stronger and faster (she even got into a varsity heat on Thursday.) Sarah has mixed feelings about her performance, but is enjoying it for sure.  She is only sad that she's missing some choir rehearsals for swim meets.  Can't be everywhere.  Anyway, so happy to be back poolside.  This week things get even more chaotic, as Ben starts football games at Einstein.  He's the smallest kid by far, so he'll likely be playing in the "5th" quarter, the JV time.  That's great, because I won't have to rush out of school to try and get there.

Derek is coaching at SW--he's the head C team coach (it was just freshman, now they've given him sophomores too).  They aren't having a winning year, per say, but he's enjoying it.  

So basically I'm home for dinner by myself a lot, with Ben wandering in from the activity bus before I'm done eating, the girls coming in as we're cleaning up, and me sometimes going to get Derek mid dinner.  But I'm sort of loving this chaotic season of life.  (Also, so far the weather's been nice...I'm not excited about being outdoors as the weather gets worse...even the girl's pool is outdoors.  Brrrr...)

Anyway, happy fall! 












No comments: