Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, December 31, 2023

December Wrestling Update

 So I am "blogging" a lot right now--just for the Shoreline Area News.  

Here's the one about the match v. Edmonds Woodway.  

and the one about the Double Dual against Lake Stevens and Marysville (they combine their two schools into one team). 

I am really enjoying going to practice when I can, organizing Derek's wrestling life, and learning more about how to actually wrestle.  You know, like I've been watching it for 20 years.  I did a little coaching for Rhinos, but I'm learning so much.  I love that atmosphere of growth! 

Libby had a really rough tournament this last weekend at Gut Check.  It was brutal to see 3 of her teammates place when Libby ran into some State Champs from Oregon and WA in her bracket before she could get to the placing rounds.  Not placing at State last year has made seating much tougher for her.  (Also I think the OR girl came in unseated, which messed with the bracket).  So Libby lost to the girl who took 3rd and 1st in the tournament.  I got a few more gray hairs sitting in the corner.  It is stressful to lead a team through this kind of tournament.  Thankfully Brady could be there even though Derek couldn't.

Sarah hasn't won a match yet, but it's coming.  I can tell. (She didn't get to wrestle at Gut Check due to Driver's Ed.  Two of the other wrestlers are in her class, so they zoomed from the hall on both days.  I was too worried to risk it.  If you end up missing 3 days, you have to repay for the class.  I'm not messing around when $600 is on the line!) 

But I am enjoying being with the girls and leading out in a meaningful way for our kids.  I love that I can help Derek.  I hate that he can't get the time off he needs.  Defund the Police movement has had a real and meaningful negative impact on police families.  Anyway, one month until the post season.  Go Stormrays!

The Wrestling White Elephant Party.  A long standing tradition.  A couple of interesting items--a tire!  Like a real new tire.  Who knew?  It got traded too!  Some feminine hygiene products.  Haha.  Gotta love that. 

Libby with a win at Lake Stevens

The Group at Gut Check

All the Gut Check Wrestlers this year. 


Libby happened to put a sweet pinning move in right next to our chairs while we were coaching. 

The placers :)


No comments: