Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, February 25, 2024

JET Trip 2024

 I had a great mid-winter break.  Jen, Emmi and I headed to Kauai for a relaxing trip.  It was so fab.

We went to HI so it would be less flying for Emmi.  In the end she got a much shorter trip than the other two of us, and had to spend the night in the airport in Honolulu.  So--not better in some ways.  But AHHHH!  Hawaii was amazing.  I haven't been there since Libby was a baby, and never to Kauai.  It was a blast--just what I needed after a stressful wrestling season.

View from our room at the Hanalei Bay Resort.  It was an awesome place to stay!  Pools, hot tubs, beach access.  A fridge for our grocery store haul...it was great! 

On our way to the beach! 

We did about 2+ miles of beach walking on day one! 

Then hot tub time! 

Shaved Ice for the win.  This was seriously the best dessert I've ever had.  Jojo's Haupia (coconut). 

Day 2 we went on an 8 mile hike on the Alakai Swamp Trail. If you scroll back up to the pic of us on the beach, we are basically at the top of that mountain behind us in that pic.  The view was looking down on our resort and the public beach next to it.  So cool! 

It was not an easy hike.  I was super proud of my body for holding up just fine! 

Day 3 we went on a Captain Andy's boat ride (5 hours on the water). I took Dramamine, drank plenty of ginger ale and still got a little queasy, especially when we slowed or stopped.  Lots of waves.  But we also saw dolphins and multiples waves.  It was too chilly for me to snorkel.  But I really enjoyed seeing the Napali coast. 


Day four started with dropping Emmi at the airport (another sad part of the trip for her.) Jen and I ate at this yummy joint before hiking the Sleeping Giant trail. 

Sleeping Giant.

This is from Day 1...the lighthouse

Also Day 1--the concert we stumbled on.  Slide guitar.  So cool! 

From Alakai hike (Yeah, I was the peak of fashion!) 

We had several rainbow sightings.  So amazing! 

One day we all had navy and white suits.  Had to capture. 

My virgin pina colada...yum. 

It was so much fun.  Highlight is that we talk and talk and talk through all the problems and highs and lows of life.  Girls trip for the win.  I came home so happy to see my family too. Derek asked if I would go back to Kauai.  Yes...but we did lots of the things, so next time maybe a different island adventure? (I'd go back just for the Shave Ice and the sandy bottom hot tub though...haha.) 


No comments: