Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, February 11, 2024

What Else is Happening?

 Okay, so not much besides wrestling is happening in our lives.  Oh yeah, except full time jobs and callings.  Haha.  I also had a killer cold for the first part of the week.  I'm through the worst of it.  Yuck.

Anyway, there are a couple of other fun things that have happened.

I'm still enjoying teaching Seminary.  And of course in this already crazy week I had a fun seminary idea that took way too much prep.  But was worth it.

We did some minute to win it type games to reflect on how opposition actually makes life more fun.  (We ended with a tug of war with no opponent.) 

Tent building like Lehi's family


Hunting "wild beasts" in the forest


And building boats for our Lego families to cross the sea. (We tested them the next class.) 


I also overachieved with my school class this week.  We are doing a food chemistry unit.  So on Monday we discovered the miracle of cream.  We made butter, whip cream and ice cream.  So fun.

On Thursday we made bread--start to finish (including grinding the wheat.)  

The rising dough--The bread turned out really great.  I had 3 parent volunteers who helped.  One who brought in his kitchenaid so we could make 2 batches at once.  Then the others watched over the baking in the two ovens we have at school in 2 different staff kitchens (I know--I'm lucky our school is so big it has 2 staff kitchens.) 

10 out of 10 for awesomeness.  0 out of 10 for a tired busy mama who also ended up with a cold.  But I managed to haul all the stuff needed in and out of school, washed dishes in my tiny school sink (my classroom was originally a lower grade room--so the sink is super short.) and yeah.  It was good but the timing was bad.  

I guess the message of this post is that even at max capacity--I still LOVE teaching and finding ways to make school/seminary fun.

What I need to learn is to look at my overall life and decide to let some of these ideas go...just because you think it's a good idea Trish, doesn't mean it has to happen.  Even if it can--it doesn't have to. (Derek tries to give me this pep talk often.  I should listen.)

This week will feel so easy by comparison!   Just the stress of State coming.  We've got this. 

No comments: