Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Parental Error

I feel like I could make a post daily about my parental errors. This week I made the biggest one I have made in awhile. I tried to move my girls into one room. It was inspired by many things:
1. My desire to have a guest room for my parents visit next week.
2. My desire to NOT buy a second diaper genie, since Libby is not yet potty trained and Sarah's diapers are stinky!
3. My realization that they have fun playing together now during the day, and hence my conclusion that they might not mind being in the same room at night.
4. The reality that they wear basically the same clothing size so why try to decide what to put in whose dresser...
Anyway, BOY WAS I WRONG. They were both totally freaked out by the concept. I tried, I really tried to help them get comfortable and used to the idea. We even had a family home evening on it before bed. Everything that could have gone wrong did. (And somet things that shouldn't have gone wrong, like how I accidentally removed the heat vent cover with the bed and Libby stepped into the hole, getting blood all over from a small but painful cut on the foot!) Finally at 2:15 am I woke Derek up (5 minutes before his alarm anyway) and had him move Libby's toddler bed back to her room. She was instantly asleep. Guess the girl needs her own space. I decided that it didn't matter. I will let them have their own rooms as long as I can. But I still haven't recovered from the lack of sleep. Why is my body's new response to being tired not being able to sleep?

2 comments:

Debbi said...

Welcome to maturity. Get used to the sleep deprivation. Forgive yourself. You're doing the best you can.

Lisa Merkley said...

It might take a couple of weeks, but the girls will get used to it. Kids are like rubber and they will bounce back. I'd try it again, but this time move Sarah into Libby's room. Sarah probably won't have a huge meltdown about it and Libby will be in a more comfortable place.

If that's the worst of your parenting mistakes, you've got it made, girl!