Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Barbie Bedtime Rewards

Libby has been really difficult lately (check out the party post to see the tantrum footage).  Bedtime was the worst.  After a particularly bad bedtime the other night I started checking out some other mommy blogs and other websites to get some bedtime chart ideas.  I found a great idea where the mom had a chart of things the kids loved to do during the day.  Each time the kid came out of their room she would simply go to the chart and move a clothes pin down the side to indicate that they had lost one of those items for the next day.  I loved it.  I wanted to apply it to Libby.  What is one thing she has been asking me for lately?  A new Barbie.  So I made a Barbie Bedtime Rewards Jar for each girl.  I made a list of their Bedtime Routine.  If they do each thing on the list (including clean up their room, brush teeth, pray, etc.) they get money in their jar toward the Barbie.  If they come out of their room or ask for anything extra after they are in bed I take money out of their jars.  Simple.  Perfect.  (So far--2 nights have been great!)  And, last night Libby even asked if she ate all her breakfast could she earn more money.  YES!

2 comments:

Sleepless In St. George said...

Sounds like a great idea...I did something similar recently to get my boys to stop fighting! My friend made a "hall pass" for her kids...it is a one time pass to come out of their room each night for a drink/bathroom etc. She said it totally worked for her. Good luck!

Taylor said...

Great idea. Glad it is working.