Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Ward Campout on Bainbridge Island

Last year we had to cancel our ward campout due to an epic windstorm.  This year, it was back on!  I had to turn my phone off, since I forgot my charger.  Derek has some more pictures I can add later.  (As I type this, I know that will probably not happen, but you never know, right?)
Ferry waiting.  

It was hot, but we sent the kids to get ice cream and I gave Derek the Gretchen Rubin 4 tendencies quiz and the 5 love languages quiz.  He is definitely a Rebel.  His response, "These quizzes are just trying to pigeonhole people..."  

We had April with us (our favorite babysitter) and she took the kids adventuring while we waited for the ferry.  Then she took them to the windy spots while I found shelter out of the wind.
 We slept pretty well.  It was fun to hear the men snoring in chorus out of the individual tents.
For breakfast I got some amazing fresh bagels.  This is Libby being forced to try the most disgusting thing ever.  A plain bagel with strawberry cream cheese.  How dare we try to torture her like that?  She just told me she wanted to punch me for taking this picture.  Ha!  I want to punch her for being such a picky eater.  So we are even.   
Horseback riding

Waiting for horses

Ben on his horse.

Sarah on her horse

Day 1 was really hot. But day 2 was much cooler.  We kept the fire going all day and cooked marshmellows for snack and for lunch.  Ben fixed himself this roaster.  I decided to take a before, during and after shot.  

During.

After.  Poor guy.  I tossed the top ones, but since I hate to waste, I went ahead and roasted the bottom 3 to my liking and ate them (for the team).  

One of the service projects was wood chopping.  We had some amazing choppers, delivery boys, and a master wood stacker.  I did the blackberry cutting project, eating a few berries before I cut down the bush.  Yum.  

This piece of pipe provided many hours of entertainment before the inevitable happened.  A toddler got rolled over.  YIKES!  Heart stopping moment.  But, she seemed to be okay.  We tipped up the pipe and that was the end of that!
We missed the ferry on the way home by about 5 cars.  So, we had to wait another hour on the ferry dock.  But we used the time productively, annoying Derek (who was trying to nap) and discussing (arguing about) our Halloween costume theme.  Don't know if we will get to consensus this year!

1 comment:

shelley schwendiman said...

It makes me jealous to see you do a ward campout! we have an elderly ward...only 12 kids in primary. We never have fathers and sons or ward campouts. Looks like a ton of *work* fun!