Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Pinewood Derby 2018

My favorite podcaster, Gretchen Rubin (and her sister Elizabeth Craft) did an episode about how some things are worth doing, and we should just do them badly rather than not do them at all.  The next week was the Pinewood Derby at church.  Seriously, I am bad at the Pinewood Derby. Last year I had a girl from church help the kids.  This year I had literally nothing to give.  So I let the kids repaint their old cars.
They were no faster, possibly slower than before.  But we went and participated.  We helped the winners feel good about themselves.  And we did it, even if we did it badly.  My friend Cody reminded me about the Gretchen Rubin podcast and suddenly I felt better about the whole thing.  Would I like to do it better next year?  Yes.  This year we didn't have the bandwidth.  And that's okay.  The kids had fun just being there.



No comments: