Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Happy Easter!

Okay, so maybe it wasn't the happiest of Easters.  But I'll get to that later.
It started out well enough...


But apparently the Easter Bunny put the wrong baskets by the wrong animals.  AND THEN...had the audacity to give Libby Mary Poppins Returns and Ben Ralph Breaks the Internet.    Ben was a sobbing mess at breakfast.  I tried to explain..we live in the same house.  What does it matter who got what movie?  Also, the Easter Bunny got a 4 pack of candy....and the only candy Ben likes is Reese's out of the 4.  So he gave away all his candy except the Reese's.  (And his sisters generously traded him Reese's.)  So anyway, I am stressed and tired.  He woke me up at 6 (I was actually still sleeping at 6--a miracle), so I had to give him a movie to watch while I filled the eggs and did the "Easter Bunny" business since Derek was at work.
I was prepping for Easter dinner--and then a quick departure for our new Spring Break plans.  My back was still hurting.  And I just LOST IT! (This is 2 Easters in a row where I have lost it, by the way, if you're keeping track.)  I just said, "Ben, quit crying.  The Easter Bunny tried really hard."  More crying.  So I said, "I want you to know that I AM THE EASTER BUNNY!  So when you cry and complain, you are really telling me that I DID A BAD JOB."  So just stop.
Well, let me tell you, (even though he had been asking lots of questions and was starting to "know," he did not "know") and this DID NOT stop the tears.  Now we was crying and moaning for a different reason.  Add to that he later came and said, "Does this mean Santa isn't real too?"  OH my.  I thought ripping the bandaid off would just be better.  But it was a rough morning.  He's the sweetest.  Except when he's being a greedy, totally normal kid.
I shouldn't have...Sigh.
Holidays are hard on moms!  And guess what, later, when we watched Ralph, he remembered that he LOVED it.  And he was so happy that he got it.
Also, Easter dinner wasn't super pleasant for me because I got really upset when Derek said he was going to pay for all the food for his brother's local wedding reception. (Without consulting me first--which he reminded me loudly in front of everyone--that he doesn't have to do when he uses his "cowboy" account.  Seems like something that should be discussed first, right?)  Also, we worked hard together on a beautiful platter and plate of deviled eggs that I forgot to take out of the tridge.  BOO!  Anyway, needless to say, I am ready to not do Easter again for another year. 
But the kids loved Maren's Easter Egg hunt, and we made it out the door for Spring Break in a timely enough manner, forgetting only Libby's temple recommend, even after Brion made a trip home to bring it to us. (Sigh)




I guess it's a good reminder that the reality of Easter is that Christ is risen from the dead.  That death has no sting.  And that through the Atonement of Christ we can be forgiven.  Even of spoiling the Easter Bunny, being mad at our husbands for their generosity, and the self-frustration that comes from forgetting deviled eggs and recommends.  Hallelujah!

No comments: