Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, October 10, 2021

Mom life

 Last week I didn't have time to write about me...well...honestly, I am loving almost every part of life right now.  There are just so many of them!  Sundays I have been loving cooking in my new kitchen (still feels pretty new despite the dings and stains and scratches already showing up.  I also have lots of YW meetings.  So that keeps me away from the blog.  I am enjoying getting some time with each kid getting them to and from their various activities.  I had to start getting up at 4:45 am in order to get everything done and still get Libby to seminary.  It's harder to get up, but honestly, I haven't really felt any more tired than I did before.  (This additional time is necessary because Libby won't start getting up on her own. I have to go into her room and spend a few minutes harassing her to get up.  "Alexa, play Jim Gaffigan"...or "Alexa, play Wipeout" are a few of my tricks.  But mostly I still wanted to get a full 2 mile walk in before I take her to seminary.  When I have to help her get up, I need to be home by 6:05 at the latest...anyway, I get some time with Libby daily on the way to seminary.  

Sarah I drive to dance 2 nights a week.  I used to stay and run errands during dance, but now I just come home and make dinner for the rest of the family.  Sarah started just listening to her headphones while I drove her.  I wasn't into this, so since she is taking French, we are listening to a YA book set in Paris right now.  It's a little too old for her (in my opinion), but it's been fun to be sharing a book together.  She usually gets herself off to school in the morning, so some mornings I don't see her as we cross while I take Libby.  But usually I get to see her for a few minutes at least.

Ben is home with me in the mornings.  I leave him alone for a bit and then he walks to school with the neighbor girls.  He's perfectly content with this routine, as usually he finishes everything in time for a little switch time before school (Fortnite is his game of choice right now.). I love it when our schedules match up and we eat breakfast together.  This is happens a few times a week usually.  I see him at school pretty much daily as he sneaks into my classroom to get his snack.  I just love sharing our MP community together.

Derek has been home to help a bunch this last week, as the Mariners were eliminated from the playoffs, and the Kraken haven't started playing yet.  (The new Seattle NHL team--he is going to work some games until wrestling really gets going.). I could definitely get used to having another driver and another person to make dinner.  So I'm trying to just relish it while I can get it! (And be thankful for the extra income when he's working.)

As to teaching--I forgot how much I LOVE it.  With students in the classroom.  The challenge of helping students settle in to get to work has been real!  But we are getting into a groove.  I love seeing routines take shape (I am SO much better at this elementary thing that I was when I started).  I love seeing students start to trust me as a teacher.  I love hearing them prep for their first debate.  I love coming up with fun and creative ways to check to see if they have learned what I think I've taught.  My favorite so far this year is the area art project.  Super fun.  And really tested their skills of calculating area, surface area, and volume (as well as making a polyhedron from a net.). I thought I had a picture of my art, but I guess not.  I'll post it next week! 

Young Women is also something I'm feeling like I'm making some progress in understanding how to make it all fit.  We are having fun (this week a Girls Camp Reunion with all the YW in the stake)!  I'm still figuring out how to best get the girls to lead without taking hours of time outside the already many hours I spend just at meetings and activities.  Honestly my delegation skills are just shoddy.  And I'm too controlling and interested in seeing my vision come to light.  I need to let go a bit more and I'll be much better off. 

Anyway, life is really pretty good.  I can't complain.  Off to another meeting. 



No comments: