Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, July 2, 2023

5th Grade Camp 2023

We came home from Utah and I had just a few hours to turn around and be ready to head to 5th grade camp.  Then straight from 5th grade camp to FL for the Celebration of Life/Randall Disney Day.  (So I had to prep for 2 more sub days as well.) 

That Monday afternoon ended up being a very painful day for our family, as Libby had a mental health crisis that landed her at Children's hospital.  They ended up finding a bed for her at Smokey Point Mental Health Stabilization center.  We sat with her on Monday night and I went to be with her again on Tuesday morning before the ambulance took her to Smokey Point.  

The usual fun of 5th grade camp was interrupted by calls from Libby's therapist, psychiatrist, and case manager at Smokey Point, as well as lots of calls from Libby begging to come home.  I left camp on Wednesday night and made the hour and a 1/2 drive to Smokey Point for parent visitation while Derek went to Sarah's choir concert (where she won the Outstanding Musician Award).  Libby was still begging to come home.  But a nurse told her that with the 15 stitches on her arm from self inflicted wounds, she could end up with a court ordered 60 day stay.  Libby decided a 5-7 day stabilization stay would be better.  And over the days I was at camp and in FL, she seemed to improve with the addition of new meds and an awakening to how much she really did appreciate things in her life.  

I've never experienced a more painful week as a parent.  And I hope I never will.  More details on her continued treatment in other posts.  The time at camp was a nice distraction.  I enjoyed my students and the lovely hiking at Camp Waskowitz as much as a could through my haze of pain.  I told my students that Libby was in the hospital.  So they were sweet and kind.   Also a huge bonus, if you remember my camp experience last year--I didn't have the same troubles.  I didn't get lost (really lost anyway).  And only one small bee sting, no major wasps nest encounters.  Whew.  




Camp Waskowitz--the View from the Lookout Tower

No comments: