Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Crazy Crazy Fun Week

This week was a week I wasn't sure I would survive.  But I made it.  Here are some highlights.  The big events were the Bodypump launch class, the Zumbathon, and the Wrestling Rhino tournament (This was all day on Saturday).  Each event could be a blog post unto itself, but I am short on time today, so they all come in one post.
Bodypump 84 launch on Tuesday evening.  Look at my amazing team!  I have the best job in the world!

3rd annual Zumbathon to support Shorewood Wrestling.  We had a great group come to support the team...and they did a great job dancing the night away.  We actually could have gone more than 2 hours I think.  It was a blast!
The Rhino tournament was by far the most work.  Derek spent several hours picking up mats from the nearby schools.  I did all the signage and prepared the hospitality room and registration signs.  I was amazed at the dedication of these wrestling families who got up as early as 5 on a Saturday morning to be there for registration and weigh in by 7 am.  (I had some horrible moments thinking about how that will probably be me in the future).  After registration I went and taught my classes, then I came back and helped run a scoring table for one mat.  I couldn't believe how much crying there is in wrestling.  After almost every match where the kids were 10 or younger someone cried.  It was gut wrenching, adorable, painful, and wonderful all at once.  It made me realize how much wrestling is so individual and personal.  If you lose, there is really no one else to blame.  I was close to tears several times watching throughout the day.  But I loved to see the kids who were developing strength, flexibility, mental strength, and more...It is going to be a journey as Ben starts to wrestle.  The tournament finished by about 2:30, but clean up and returning the mats took another 3 hours or so.  I wasn't sure it was worth it...but then I realized that we had 50+ Rhinos wrestle in the tournament, and for 20 of them, it was their first tournament.  My goal in helping with the Rhinos is to build the wrestling culture in our area.  I think we took some big strides in this direction.  Want to wrestle?
Check out the freestyle registration form that I made on our website.  www.wrestlingrhinos.org


No comments: