Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Saturday, May 11, 2013

2 Key Questions

My niece Paige babysat the girls last weekend so Derek and I could go see Stephen Tobolowsky (which was super awesome).  When we got back Paige told Derek that Libby had been using the phrase "What the H-E-double hockey sticks (only saying the real word)" frequently during the evening.
Oh My.  My conversation with her started with one big question that I wanted and answer to, and gave me answers to another concern (about her school attitude) I had been having...
Conversation went something like this:
Mom:  Libby, Paige told me you were saying something inappropriate when she was here the other night.  Do you know what she is talking about? (I knew that she knew because she hadn't tried out saying it around me.)
Libby:  I said "What the hell."
Mom:  Well if you know it is inappropriate, why did you say it?  (Key Question #1--and I am hoping that the answer is not--"I heard you say it")  Where did you learn that?
Libby:  From kids at school.
Mom: (Internally--YES!  It wasn't from me!)  So kids at school say that  a lot?
Libby:  Yes, (named some names).  Those are the unfocused kids.
Mom:  The unfocused kids?  (Key question #2)  Are you one of the unfocused kids?
Libby:  No.  I am a focused kid.
Mom:  (Internally--WHEW!!!!  I know she sometimes has trouble focusing, but I am so glad she doesn't self-identify with that group, although I think it is kid of sad that some kids already have a negative label like that.)  That is good, you are a focused kid!  Just remember to talk like one.
I am so proud of this girl and the progress she has made this year.  We are on reading lesson 90 and she wants to finish all 10 this week!

No comments: