Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Triathalon Spectating

For a couple of years now, I have had friends doing "Sprint" triathalons.  You swim, then bike, then run.  I have never been interested really, since the swimming thing wasn't my thing.  Then, Maren and her friend Liz gave me a pep talk about swimming.  They told me it is okay if you have to stop and gasp for air after each lap at first.  Huge revelation.  So while the girls had swimming lessons, I reserved a lane and started swimming.  And I really like it.  Really like it.  Now I know it is not the same as swimming in open water, where fish might touch me.  Or seaweed.  But I am going to start with the pool and see if by next summer I feel strong enough as a swimmer to try getting in open water.  (And we will see if I have mastered the flip turn--which right now often leaves me sputtering and frustrated.)
Anyway, that is a long story to preface that Maren mentioned that in all her triathaloning, no one from the family had ever come to watch.  So, I decided to be the first!  It all worked out.  Several factors came together to help us make it.  Our Auntie Jen was doing it to, I had Saturday morning free, I wanted to see what a triatholon actually looks like, I thought it wasn't going to rain (turns out I was wrong there), and I really wanted to support Maren.  We got lost several times on the way there, and the kids whined just about non-stop after watching the swim.  But it was worth it.  I love seeing people dig deep and accomplish something that challenges them.  Both Maren and Jen did a great job!  They finished happy after giving it their all. Next year, I think I am in!
Happy spectator Ben.  He was probably the least whiny.  Only when someone took his spot in the stroller did he get really frustrated by the whole thing.  
Even with our wrong turns, we got there just in time to say hi before our Aunties started their swim.  

Sarah.  Fine for the moment.  

Libby, mid-whine

Maren, Looking STRONG!

Jen after the finish.  She killed the bike.  

Ben having a meltdown moment at the finish line.  

All smiles at the end.

No comments: