Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Libby's Lost & Found Week

Libby lost her glasses almost 2 weeks ago.  We waited a few days, then gave up hope.  She said they were on her desk and went missing.  Her new glasses should be in on Monday at the latest.  On Friday she happened to put her hand into her left coat pocket (she has 3 coats she alternates between since she lost one at the first of the year which we later found and the new one I bought her was a 2 in 1, so she hasn't been wearing that coat everyday) and there were the glasses.  Ta DA!  I was glad that she was excited.  Her whole class was excited.  She can see!

She and another important loss this week, her first tooth!  And she pulled it out all by herself, during her reading class.  I am glad because I tried to convince myself that it wouldn't be that bad to pull it, but it gave me the creeps to think about it.  But then she lost the tooth again, somewhere at school.  Thankfully, when her teacher called to apologize that the tooth had gone missing, she located the tooth there on her desk!  So, the tooth fairy came the next day when Libby brought the tooth home.  The tooth fairy brought her two whole dollars.  Derek took her to spend it that day after school.  She bought silly puddy, which she got everywhere the first time she tried to play with it and I had to chuck it.  Oh well.
Her teacher sent me this email:
Hi Tricia,
   I just wanted to share a funny…..your daughter asked to share her tooth first thing in the morning.  I had her sit at my front table with the vis cam on.  We had a couple of announcements and when it was time for Libby to share…..she lost her tooth!  Luckily after searching all over the desk I found it.    She shared the whole tooth from front to bottom even including where the hole was where her mouth bled. :)  I took her tooth put it back in the envelope…extra taped it and personally put it in her backpack.  Your daughter keeps me smiling! :)
Kathy 
2nd Grade Teacher
Meridian Park Elementary
She was eating a pumpkin cookie when I took this picture.  Should have had her brush first, lol.

Yesterday was the performance for the drill camp.  It was a LOT of practicing before the performance. Libby's attention span couldn't quite take it.  (Mine wouldn't have either I don't think).  But she hung in there and did the performance.  It was a good learning experience!

I am reading a book called Smart But Scattered that is designed to help kids like Libby, who struggle a little with "executive skills" like task initiation, emotional control, staying on task, etc.  I love it!  It has made me more empathetic to her troubles, and I am getting to the part where I develop strategies to help her overcome her gaps in executive skills.  Anyway, when we did clean up on Friday night, things started out really well, but they couldn't stay with it.  She was STARVING apparently, because she lost it totally.  But I was super proud of myself.  I didn't yell.  I took away movie time, and I sympathized and used my new skills.  I told her that her inclination to say things like, "I am just the worst kid, I am awful, no one likes me, etc" is something that comes from me.  I explained that I tend to call myself an idiot when I do something wrong.  Things got better after we finished the clean up and she ate some goldfish.  Imagine my surprise when Libby closed the evening with "Mom, you need to stop saying bad words to us when you are mad."  Gulp.  "Which bad words Libby?"  "Idiot."

Whew!  Okay.  I won't say that any more!

No comments: