Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Saturday, July 18, 2015

The Really Expensive Day, Worth Every Penny

Derek wanted to take us to Padilla bay, pronounced here in Washington like PadiLLa not PadiYa.  It is an estuary.  He gave the kids all kinds of science on the drive up.  Don't they all look so excited!
So far we are a month into summer, and we hadn't spent a day together as a family.  Not one.  When I came home from Utah the house was all a jumble because of the floor refinishing project.  And, we couldn't move it back until the baseboards were done.  I basically had 2 options.  Do the baseboards myself (with some help from Derek, maybe) or pay someone.  I decided to go the 2nd route.  After all, I have done baseboards several times.  They don't take that long.  Why not pay an hourly contractor and go have some fun on our first day off all together (and maybe our last, who knows)?  Here is why.  It is insanely expensive.  Especially for something you could have done yourself.  Lesson learned.  But, at the end of the day when Derek and I talked about it, we decided that the day had been pretty  much priceless.  The baseboards look perfect (that's what you pay for.)  We made some great memories, and learned something about one of our children...   
Walking down to the mud flat.
The tide was partially out, so we got to see a fair amount of mud.  And a zillion snails.  Here is where Sarah's panic started in.  She couldn't handle walking on the snails.  She just couldn't.  She totally freaked.  And I understood...I may have mentioned here that I have a fear of fish and other aquatic creatures touching me?  But I'm old enough to talk myself off the ledge and participate.  Not Sarah.  (Scroll down for a picture of her pouting on the beach).  
I carried her out to the water, past the obvious snails everywhere.  She lasted about 2 minutes.  Then once we saw a few crabs it was all over.  She didn't dare take a step.  I carried her back.  We spent the rest of the day on the beach while the others enjoyed the water and the sea life.  It was just about perfect for me.  
Dad pretending to eat a live crab. 
Sarah took lots of pictures while we were on the beach.   Here you see evidence of what I did while we were on the beach.  I had a great nap!  I woke up and the tide was in.  
Sarah pouting on the beach. 
Splashing up the eel grass.  
Leaving the beach.  It was an amazing place.  

No comments: