Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Whole30 Week 1

So I can sum up this week with 2 words, ok 3.  Shop, cook, and meltdown.  The shopping and cooking were me.  The melting down was everyone else.  It was a bit rough!  Ben cried for chocolate milk.  Sarah cried because she couldn't have an Izzy at the Very Important Cheetah lunch.  Derek got grumpy without Coke Zero.  Libby freaked out about just about everything.
There was a learning curve for me about feeding my family food that is more nutrient dense.  But by the end of the week we were getting into a groove.  I made a whole30 sloppy joe recipe that we ate on baked homemade potato "chips."  Libby said, "After this month, can you still make this?"  This was a huge step, since most of what I heard all week was that "when this month is over..." insert what they can't wait to start eating again.
I have been surprised though, at how much healthy food they eat with gusto!!!  I am excited to see this month progress.  I feel good, great, about the same?  I didn't have a big crash this week of any kind.  I didn't freak about what I was missing mentally or physically.  It is a very eye opening experience though, to be reading labels like crazy and cutting out sugar, soy, dairy, gluten, etc.  And then to realize you can make your own without all that and it is just as good for almost everything.
My cooking has expanded to include all kinds of new ingredients and techniques.  I have printed several new recipes everyday.  I made salmon for breakfast one morning!  (Actually dinners aren't hard at all, it is replacing the gluten in breakfast and lunch that has been the real challenge.)
One week down, 3 to go--but I know that the way we eat is changing forever! (Okay I hope.)

No comments: