Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, March 13, 2016

One Proud Mama!

This week I was one proud mama!
We had parent/teacher conferences with the girls' teachers.
They are both making so much progress.  Sarah is reading at a 3rd grade level.  Which is amazing, since she is in 1st grade.  Libby is reading at a 3rd grade level, which is also awesome because at the start of 2nd grade we were concerned that she was a bit below grade level.  Both girls have gotten so good at doing their homework with only occasional reminders from me to focus.  (This is a huge change from Libby's homework ethic last year, where I had to sit with her for every minute or she didn't get anything done.)

Other awesome accomplishments from the week:
Ben rode his scooter the whole way to preschool (except for a couple of scary hills).  He has done this once before, but it was with a fair amount of whining and stopping.  This time he just went for it!

All the kids worked on sanding their pinewood derby cars.  I helped with some more than others, but their cars are taking shape.  Which is good, because the derby is this Friday.  Huge thanks to Gary Butterfield for cutting the cars out for us.  



And the biggest news of all!!!  Sarah rode her bike!  1st time ever.  She has been ready since last summer, right before my surgery.  But since then I haven't been able to run with her to get her started.  Yesterday I just went for it.  My hip feels pretty good today, doesn't seem to have any adverse effects.  I had to explain to Sarah that there are a few skills to master before you are actually able to ride.
1.  Getting started
2.  Riding
3.  Turning
4.  Stopping
She got pretty discouraged because the only one she really has down is the riding.  Still working on getting started, turning and stopping (and when you aren't good at turning or stopping it can be a little painful, especially when you are wearing a skort).  But the riding is the trickiest part, right?  So, we will be working on it during breaks from the rain this week.  If we have any.  
I don't have a picture of this one, but at gymnastics, Libby's class got a chance to climb the rope.  It is a big rope hung from a really high, warehouse type ceiling.  And Libby climbed it.  Basically all the way.  Yep, she is strong, agile and tough (as I was writing this she was climbing up the door jam to the playroom).  My ninja warrior?

I was also super proud of both girls when they had a double playdate on Friday (meaning they each had a friend over).  They stopped both friends in the laundry room and explained, "Last time we had a double playdate it was, well, horrible....So we want you two to be friends too, so we can all play together.  OK?"  It was so mature and cute the way they handled it.  I loved it.

Then, as the playdate was ending, Libby told her friend that she had an early birthday present for her.  I caught Libby and asked what was in the gift bag (tissue paper and all).  It was Libby's Book of Mormon.  And, Libby had handwritten instructions on how to pray.  I wish I could have read them and maybe taken a picture.  So so sweet.  And potentially awkward.  But I let her hand it off to her friend.  It was given with a lot of love.  My little missionary.  She also invited her friend to activity days and church.  That is my Libby, bold and brave.

I also posted this on FB, but Derek was named District and Regional Middle School Wrestling Coach of the year.  Perfect day to find this out as Einstein Wrestling beat Evergreen for the first time ever in his career and breaking Evergreen's 14 year winning streak.  It was a great week!


3 comments:

Sweet Utah said...

I am so proud of you and your family. You guys give us a great example to look to as we get started with ours. But seriously, LIbby's present to her friend made me cry! I worry sometimes about my sweet niece who I fear is too much like her Auntie Ray Ray, and yet she finds ways to amaze me all the time. I love bold, beautiful, and spunky Libby so much!

Debbi said...

Wow! This is all awesome stuff. Talk about proud! This grandma is feeling pretty great. Hugs to all of you. Keep up the good work.

Mrs. B said...

Wow! So much awesome in one little family!