Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Our International Wrestling Banquet and Stuff...

This was one of those weeks where I sat down to blog and had to think--what did happen this week?  I had to look at my calendar and pictures to find out.  Drawing a total blank.  This is partly because it is SEASONAL ALLERGY SEASON AGAIN!  The last couple of years have been rough.  I have to take something every day.  It is a trade off, because I am not itching, sneezing, or tearing up.  But I am groggy.  Have difficulty staying on task, and seriously, did I mention groggy?

But, some things were accomplished around here (passive voice intended).  I may have been involved.  Not sure.  Too groggy to know.  Okay, so it isn't quite that bad.  But almost.

Here is a rundown of the week.

Everyday:  Check in on #gobigforcasey to see how Derek's cousin is doing.  Casey was in a snowboarding accident and has been in a coma all week.  It is strange how I only met him a few times.  But this week I made the meal I made when he was here.  I wore the shirt I made in Colorado when we were at the Fehlberg family reunion with him.  I thought about how hard it would be to see your child fighting for his life.  I prayed a lot.  And I felt reassured that God is mindful of Casey and his family.  And reassured that the hard things that happen can make us better.
My girls had a total crush on Casey when he came to visit.
Monday:  The wrestling banquet.  This has ended up being my big part of the season.  I make the invite, this year I also did the centerpieces and gave a little lecture on changing your habits to become the wrestler you want to be.  Whew!  Here's to a better season next year!  (This was also a night that the kids officially exited the Whole30 reintroduction.  Libby ate about 6 brownie bites and all the kids had gluten, dairy and dessert.  And, they got gut rot from overdoing it.)

If you are interested, here is a link to the talk I gave the wrestlers.
Change your Habits, Change your Life

Ben wanted to match dad for the banquet.  Two very handsome men!  Derek's body really shed the pounds during whole30!

My centerpieces.  Thanks to the help of a good friend, we painstakingly traced and cut out 20 t-birds.  When Geneva saw them she said, "You know we have a die-cut of that shape..."  UGH!!!  And, I want a cricket.  Then I can have any shape I want.  Better save my pennies.

This team had 42 kids finish the season.  
This year's invitation.
Tues:  Libby woke up with super sore legs and back from jumping off the playground equipment at school.  "Did it hurt when you did it?" I asked.  "No!  It was scary!  But fun. So I jumped 5 more times."  So we went to the chiropractor instead of to gymnastics.  Her quads were the most sore.  She didn't start walking normally until Friday.  Poor silly girl.

Wed:  I saw the chiropractor.  He recommended seeing another surgeon.  My pain has gone on long enough.  I may go back and see my other surgeon again, just so I don't have to start the whole story again.  But I am over the pain.  After school, the usual.  Sarah had dance, quick dinner, then Libby had activity days.  Seriously, I know it only gets busier.  Not sure how that is possible.

Thurs:  Piano.  Ben and I left the girls at lessons and watched a bit of the Einstein Wrestling match since it was only a few blocks away.  They are looking pretty good!  (At least in the matches we saw.)

Fri:  I went to the Northwest Yoga Conference to get some CECs.  It was really really awesome to do yoga again.  I had to modify some, but it was so much better than 4 months ago.  My range of motion is much better.  I fell asleep in the last class of the day.  But I felt more relaxed than I have in months.

Saturday:  I had clients and we went to Costco (yeah, Costco on a Saturday, terrible).  And then the kids played on the tramp ALL. DAY. LONG.  It was amazing.  I love having them play outside.  I am ready for summer.

All week the kids were asking me for stories about my life and my mission.  So last night I pulled out some pictures from my mission and we looked at them.  My favorite quote was Ben, "Mom, do not ever do your hair like that again.  It is awful."  But it is so fun to have them getting excited about their missions already.

No comments: