Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Light the World Ward Party

We are still getting settled in our new ward.  It has taken a bit of time since we've been out of town a bunch, 2 hour church, and busy lives!  My calling as Relief Society Meeting coordinator came with the task of the Ward Christmas Party, since it was the RS responsibility this year.  (I do miss having a ward activities committee, but I digress.)  Anyway, I tried to push the party off onto someone else, especially since the kids had choir concerts that day.  But the RS President encouraged me to go for it and beefed up my committee to help me.  It was very stressful for me.  I lost many hours of sleep fretting over it.  I'm not sure why, except maybe it was the straw breaking my already busy back.  I love planning parties.  But it's tricky when I already feel maxed out.
Anyway, I felt prompted to go with a Light the World theme.  So we decorated with globes and Christmas trees.  The tables had blue cloths, and maps and garlands.  We did an international breakfast buffet.  We showed a Light the World promo video.  We gave out Light the World Calendars.  We had stations for writing to missionaries, writing Light the World Thank you cards, etc.  


I want to learn to make these...so good! 
We had a couple from the ward do some German songs on their recorders, a piano number, and the primary sang.  Then there were kids activities and time for the adults to chat. As a part of the event we brought in 50 items for refugees moving into our area. It turned out really well.  Every seat was full, and then some.  
On reflection, I just can't do a party on the morning of the choir concerts.  Dave drove the kids to their call times--otherwise I couldn't have done it at all. Or, I need to plan a simpler party.  As I am writing about this, I am thinking--Just a brunch would have been fine, hahaha! 
Life is about learning I guess.  I think all who came enjoyed themselves and felt a little of the true Light of Christ.

No comments: