Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Going Virtual

Well...I was holding out hope.  I mean really holding out hope.  But I guess this office is my new classroom FOR THE REST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR.  Schools are closed.  But we are open for learning online.  I am struggling to carve out a schedule and figure out how to manage my own expectations for teaching, my need to teach my own kids, my house (since while I am here I am constantly distracted by a desire to clean, etc.), and stay upbeat when so many things we love and live for are gone. 
I have cried a lot over the last few days.  I may have also eaten a fair amount of chocolate.  I have stopped baking as much, as there is no flour to be had and I don't want to run out.  And I am also super busy now.  We are having staff meetings, class meetings, office hours, lesson planning...really.  Life is going on.  But time is crawling.  And racing.
There are times when being a super planner means life is smooth sailing.  And time when being a super planner means that you are not super adaptable.  And everything feels hard and frustrating.
Today I started using our whiteboard to write out the schedule of what I have to do and when I will do homeschool stuff with kids.  (We took an improptu walk to Baskin Robbins and the chiro and post office too.)
Ben cried when he saw how many meetings I had today.  It's an adjustment.  We will make it.
But I don't like this new normal.  Not really.
And the words I say the most to my kids?  "Just stop talking (to him/her)."  I am refereeing so much.  I need to try to follow it up with "and I love you both."
I am super thankful to the person who is sending Ben puzzle pieces so he can put together a puzzle over a few days.  He's loving it.
Also thankful to the Easter egg bomber.  All the kids loved that. 
Gifts from Uncle Davey have been a big hit. 
Thankful for my village.



No comments: