Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Saturday, November 21, 2020

Hip update

 Well, finally, after 5 years (actually close to 7 since my initial injury) I saw a doctor who I think figured things out.  Just to update you if you haven't followed my hip injury--

One day I woke up and it hurt in a new and strange, deep way.  (January 2014)

I tried PT.  Immediately.

So much pain.

I tried rest.

I tried more PT.

Finally got an MRI which detected a labral tear.

Saw a surgeon who said he could fix me up.

Had the surgery (August 2015).

After the surgery the surgeon informed me that he repaired the tear and "shaved down my femur head."

Lost all range of motion in my hip.

Got some of it back with PT.  But have had pain anytime I loaded my hip.

Pain if I criss cross.  Pain if I sit for any length of time.  Pain if I stand for any length of time.  Pain walking, pain running.

I gave up teaching.  Then tried teaching through the pain.  But the bad link in the chain caused a shoulder injury.

So now I am down to mostly walking and occasionally running.  I can't lift.  

I have lots of headaches due to neck and shoulder tension--likely partly caused by the dysfunctional hip.

After another unsuccessful PT series (including deep pelvic floor work--ouch).  The PT said--there is still something wrong in there!  

Another MRI, a cortizone shot.  Nothing helps.

A new PT this summer recommended a new doctor.

Finally.  Someone who knew what to look for.  And the news isn't good.  

He looked at my hip under ultrasound while in motion.  And it's clear.  The "shaved femur head" included removing cartilage that can't be replace.  If I bend my knee beyond about 45 degrees I am bone on bone in my hip socket.  And I have a partially torn glute medius.  (Which I am guessing was probably the main problem from the beginning--I may not have even needed the labral tear surgery).

I can give up on returning to squatting BP style.  Likely no Bodystep.  I need a hip replacement.  But that's not really an option until 65.  

Turns out this surgery procedure is just a bad procedure.  My new doctor sees lots of patients who are in pain like I am after the surgery I had.  

What a bummer! 

But I finally have an answer about why the MRIs look fine when I am laying still, but if I bend my leg it shows the bone on bone problem.

I am going to try a PRP injection.  It should (fingers crossed) help the glute med heal and reduce the inflammation in my hip socket.  Goal 1--pain free.  Then I'll see what I can do to start working out.  My doctor works with the Seattle Storm and he wants me to work with their trainer.  Should be fun!

Now if we could only figure out why my body isn't using food for fuel!  My metabolic doctor is on her 4th attempt to get that happening.  Autonomic hypoglycemia sucks.  Dang.  I'm a mess! 

But I have a lot to be thankful for.  Despite my pain, I can still walk.  Some people who have had this bad surgery are worse off than I am! 


No comments: