Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, November 29, 2020

FLORIDA for Thanksgiving

 So we probably shouldn't have gone to Florida.  I mean, the CDC was begging people not to travel.  But--a promise to help my sister is a promise.  I got on the schedule to be her post-chemo support months ago--before cases ticked up so high.  So we went.  We are going to quarantine and get COVID tested this week.  So far we seem healthy.  And it was an amazing trip.

We flew all day last Sunday--flying through the Detroit airport.  It is awesome!  This walkway was super fun.  Sadly we didn't find it until it was almost time to board.  So we did a little dancing to the music in the lights and then got on our next flight.  Flying with a mask was okay.  I am much more used to wearing one now.  I did take dramamine this time (non-drowsy) so I didn't get super nauseous. (Just a little.). I read the book I've been promising Ben I'd read after he left it on my pillow with a "Please Read" note months ago.  Kane Chronicles #1.  I didn't love it.  But I'm telling him all the things I did like.  (It's just not my genre.)   
We stayed in a great Airbnb that was only about 7 minutes from Rachel's house.  We had a pool that was perfect for the kids.  It was nice, new and clean.  So I was happy.  It had good wi-fi, so Derek and kids were happy.  


Libby took lots of pictures from the plane.  

Monday: Day 1 in Florida was a chill day.  My nephews Devin and Davy came to play at our Airbnb (which was great, btw), while the girls and I went and helped Rachel.  We did some great cleaning (I got to do the fridge--my favorite!)


Tuesday Day 2 was GATORLAND!  It was really fun, creepy, cool.  So many alligators! We brought Devin and Davy so Rachel could relax at home by herself.  

Ben riding an alligator (the jaws are taped shut, don't worry...)

Derek feeding animals in the petting zoo. 

Libby also feeding the goats.  

Even I fed the goats (yes, you might not recognize me in my hat & mask...)

Most of the crew

Feeding the young alligators fish from a pole.  It was so creepy cool awesome. 

Wednesday Day 3: The Beach! 

The beach is about an hour and a half away from Rachel's house.   We didn't end up getting there until late afternoon.  But it was still pretty awesome.  A little chilly for me (I didn't get in the water past my ankles).  But the kids and Derek and David had fun in the waves.  Rachel got to relax in a chair (for the most part) while everyone splashed around. 

We decided to recreate this image from CA in 2013: 
Pretty close, right?  (Although that's Emily on the end in the top pic, not Rachel--and we've added a few more kids!)


Day 4 was our Disney Day.  We decided to go on Thanksgiving, in hopes that the crowds would be thin.  (Disney is limiting to 35%, so it's already thin.) Rachel felt up for going, as long as she could stay in a wheelchair most of the time.  We couldn't get a reservation at the Magic Kingdom, but Animal Kingdom actually seemed like the one Derek would like the best.  And it was great!  Rachel can get a disability pass that is basically a "fast pass" type of thing.  So the kids got to ride several things with much less wait time.  The lines didn't seem so long since with social distancing, you were always moving.  

Libby and I recreated this image from 2015: 

Let me tell you, she's a bit heavier! 
Since I don't really do rides anymore without getting majorly motion sick (I did the Flight of Passage and was a little sorry for the rest of the day).  I got to hang out with these guys during the big rides.  We had a pretty good time.  Davy kept threatening to throw things away in the recycle bin that were garbage just to get a reaction out of me.  It was so funny.  


Everyone at the end of the day.  I was pooped! 

Friday: Our last day (yes, it went fast!) Run for Rachel donations, Decorating the Great Harvest, and Our Thanksgiving celebration:

In the morning I gave Rachel the Run for Rachel donations.  It totaled up to $4000.  It was amazing to see the generosity of so many people pulling for Rachel in her fight against cancer.  Then we went to decorate the tree at GH.  She was doing really well at 7 days out from chemo. She could stand and help with the decorating just fine. 

I was thankful I chose a house that we could host Thanksgiving. It worked out amazingly well! 

Brad got us some beautiful and delicious pies.  So so yummy. 

I cooked a turkey and made potatoes, gravy, stuffing (from a box, yuck) and brussels.

My only regret is that we did this on the last day and didn't get to eat the leftovers.

Yes, that is a butter shaped like a turkey.  And my disposable table settings.  It was pretty lovely for being plastic.  

The pies also came with paintable cookies.  

Closeup of the butter.  

I guess I didn't take pics of any more of the food.  Ha!  I also didn't take a pic of the Great Harvest tree we put up.  But trust me, it's cute.

Our flight home was uneventful.  I got on the wi-fi and worked like crazy so I could be ready to start back at school tomorrow.  Being gone as a teacher is always a bit tough.  But I am so glad we went.  The weather was amazing, the company was awesome.  And getting a break from the monotony that has been life since March was amazing.  Hopefully we won't pay for it with COVID.  That vaccine is coming!  

No comments: