Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, February 7, 2021

Return to school plan...

 This week was a very long one--as the district and union completed negotiations on our return to school plan.  I listened to 3 long meetings for as long as I could handle the first 2.  The final meeting I stuck around to the bitter end so I could vote.  I am very unhappy with the plan in just about every way.  We are doing 1/2 days--which I think will be very very hard for families.  Libby's 1/2 day kindergarten was the worst year of my life. It is so hard to get a kid to school for 2 1/2 hours.  So many many families will end up choosing to stay remote.  And the other piece is that we had 2 plans--one that would keep teachers together with their and allow more synchronous learning.  I would still get to teach all subjects to the students I have been with all year.  Students could choose in person or remote and I would teach both groups simultaneously from my classroom.  That plan was voted down.  So now--huge uncertainty.  What should I choose?  (And it doesn't really matter what I choose necessarily.  Because it will be dictated by what families select ultimately.) If I choose in person instruction I will only teach math and ELA.  But I can teach it to a live in-person audience.  If I choose to stay remote, I might get to teach all subjects to kids who choose 100% remote.  Or I might end up teaching science and social studies only (two of my favorites to teach)--but to mostly asynchronous learners.  And we know how that goes.  No kids do asynch work, especially for a teacher they don't know and who won't even assign them grades.  This plan is so so bad.  My families are losing their minds with the uncertainty.  I don't see how this will work for kids to actually keep learning.  So sad. 

We made these avatar class photos, since we can't do real ones.  I am going to miss these kiddos! 










No comments: