Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, May 16, 2021

My New Calling--Back in YW

I am getting my chance to feel more connected to the ward we have now officially been in for 2 years--but in pandemic years--it's hard to count.  For the last 6 months I've been serving in the Relief Society presidency.  Our president was called with only 6 months left before she was 99% chance moving for her husband's next educational step.  So I knew a change would likely be coming as she prepared to move (I'm so sad, I really like her!).  Then I realized the YW president was also moving.  Uh oh.  And yes.  I got the YW President calling.  

My mom was my YW president during a time when we weren't getting along very well.  I think in the end it helped us--so I'm hoping.  When I told the girls on the Saturday evening  before the calling...Libby wasn't very happy about it.  But I told her I've always felt bad about not having her in my class as a 5th grader.  Because "I'm fun in some contexts,"  haha.  Derek got a big laugh out of that.

But I do feel like I am good at planning fun and even spiritual fun for groups.  I can also do it for my family--but I don't do it often enough.  I had my first presidency meeting this week.  I feel like it's going to take a lot, but I can do it--with the Lord's help and my great presidency and advisors.  

Last time I had this calling I didn't work full time and had no kids with busy schedules.  Now it's the opposite.  But I have 2 girls in the world of YW.

I also spent my birthday trip talking about YW with Jen & Emmi.  Then the day after I got called, my friend Emily texted me out of the blue.  I vaguely remembered that she was a YW president.  We had dinner last week and that was good too.  The program has changed to really encourage leadership training in the YW.  I'm looking forward to learning and growing from this challenge. 

No comments: