Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, May 16, 2021

Wrestling Season is HERE!

 It's so strange to be doing high school wrestling when it is light and warm outside!  Usually wrestling is in the deep of winter.  

But--here we are, wrestling in the spring--with masks.  And yes, you can wrestle.  But you can't shake hands.  Haha.  Safety theater at its finest.

I couldn't go to the first match because I have a new calling.  (Separate post on that...)

But Ben & Maren represented.  Anne Marie, who watched on the live stream, said Maren provided great commentary--as she could be heard very clearly by the camera.  It was a quick match.  Over in 22 minutes, including 2 exhibition matches.  Apparently not one made it out of the first round.  The score in the end was Shorewood 36 and Mariner 12 (Although I heard from another source 46-12.) I was sad I missed it.




Ben jumped up to help roll mats.  So cute. 

There was a bunch of drama with the team this week--but Derek weathered the storm with the help of his awesome new athletic director.  Last year was her first year and we LOVE her.  This year, we LOVE her even more.  Wow.  

Friday Maren and I watched the live stream of the match with Cedarcrest. They have some REALLY good wrestlers.  And they happen to line up with our best wrestlers.  So the match was LONG and UGLY.  In the end I guess we only lost by 1 points.  But it felt much worse. And the camera wasn't angled well. So we had a hard time understanding what was going on, since we couldn't always see the ref's hands.  We could never see the scoreboard.  One match had so much blood time that I lost track totally. I didn't realize it went into 4 overtimes!  Wow.  

The team has to COVID test a few times a week.  So far so good.  Fingers crossed.  Several of the team are already vaccinated, so that helps. 

Go T-birds!  Girl's matches start this week--so it's about to get even busier around here.  I have definitely taken having less on my plate for granted. 


No comments: