Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Saturday, November 4, 2023

School Pics 2023

 

Okay, mine...haha.  I have worn my hair straight to school exactly 2 times this year.  This is one of those days.  Usually no time to dry.  I look surprised in this picture...and it's been a surprisingly good year.  The classes are NOT balanced.  I got a much easier, better class.  The schedules are NOT really fair...but I got a great one.  And, I love teaching seminary.  7 years in and I'm hitting my stride! So yeah, I'm surprised at what a good year it's been so far.  (knock on wood, right?). We borrowed Maren's Land Rover for Libby to drive and that's made my life even easier.  

Libby is having a great year.  Despite the med hiccup (I think I wrote about that? XR back in stock. Whew!) she's got really great grades, rocked her swim season and well--okay her room is still a big time danger zone.  But I'll take what I can get. She's driving all around town, running errands for me and her, picking up siblings, and so excited for wrestling season.  She's been a leader at organizing open mats and hyping wrestling around the school. Right now I'm waiting for her to finish the SAT.  I just registered her for her first AP exams for the spring.  Her boyfriend Andrew is still going strong (and we really do like him).  So here we go Junior year.  Let's do this. 

Swimming has been amazing for Sarah.  She's back spending time with her Meridian Park friend group and they are lovely.  So much fun.  (I love that I already know and love their families too). She's doing well in all classes except English (yeah, right?  WHAT?).  But I think she's figuring out you have to be REALLY on top of your work with some teachers.  She's actually looking forward to wrestling season I think.  (One of her friends is joining the team, so that helps :).

Ben is having a good 7th grade year so far.  His grades look excellent, he's got lots of buddies at school.  It's still hard that his best friend moved to Edmonds after the house fire last year.  But Story rides the bus to our house lots of weekends and sleeps over.  So Ben still gets to see him.  Ben is VERY much looking forward to his wrestling season.  Rhinos officially starts next week (although he has gone to the High School bootcamp a few times too.) 

I should also probably do a Derek update.  He doesn't get official pics unless he wins an award at the banquet.  Haha.  Football coaching has been an overall good experience this year.  He was head coach of the C team (mostly freshman and some sophomores.) They kept it simple and had some very satisfying wins and some frustrating losses.  I should know the record of his games, but I don't.  His police work life has been AWFUL.  They have had so many people leave/retire that his squad is a skeleton of its former self.  Most days there are 2 of them to cover the area where there used to be 10.  So his days are busy, busy, busy.  Seattle is on track to break the homicide record this year.  And so many of those have been in the north end.  Just this week alone he had 2 hard calls.  One was a guy who chopped up his roommate with a machete.  The other was a drug overdose where the man's mom explained that she would sleep well for the first time in 25 years, knowing that her worst fears had finally come true and she no longer had to worry about it.  Heartbreaking how hard she had tried to help her son.  And those are just the two he told me about.  He's having to rebuild his wrestling coaching staff as well, as one of his long time assistants moved and Clark can't coach this year either.  We're working on delegating the tasks that especially Clark did.  The schedule isn't finalized yet and it's stressing me out to the max, as I need to book some things that I can't book until I know when the girls' tournaments are.  So yeah, we're heading into the busiest season of the year in every way feeling a little uncertain.  But I'm sure it'll all work out.  One thing I know for sure--nagging won't help.  Haha.  20 years of marriage has taught me that! 

No comments: