Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Baby Ben's bedroom update

I have been working on a few projects for Ben's bedroom. When my mom came in February we picked an awesome UW Husky material for his quilt. I finally decided what else I wanted to do on the walls.
This is the project from this weekend. I have fallen in love with modge podge. I painted the frames (actually, Libby painted one) and then used paper and modge podge to make them look like balls. Inside the frames I plan to put a post card for each of the major stadiums in Seattle. The Safeco one is already in the baseball (which turned out great)! The football will have one from Husky Stadium and the soccer ball (the one that I might redo...) will have Qwest field where the Seahawks and Sounders play.
These shelves just got a coat of paint on the outer edge. One is navy (for the Mariners) and one is dark purple (for the Huskies) but they both look dark blue.
The reason our baby will be named Derek Benjamin Norton is that he will share the initials with his Great Grandpa Donald Barron Norton, his Grandpa Donald Brion Norton, and his father Derek Brion Norton. So, he will be the 4th DBN. That was the inspiration for the initials on the hat rack above (the B has another modge podge creation--the football field stripe). Eventually I will get one hat for each of the major teams in Seattle and probably some wrestling headgear to hang.
Here is the project that seemed easiest and ended up being the hardest. It is a "jersey" for DBN #4. I won't ever take it out of the frame because the back is evidence of how my pregnancy brain was on overload when I was trying to do this project (I painted the hat rack, the shelves, and did this jersey the weekend Derek was out of town to surprise him...big mistake in retrospect because I made millions of mistakes by trying to do too much). But I like the finished product. It is a purple t-shirt that looks like it could be an actual jersey because I created custom iron-ons. The picture makes it hard to tell I think. Then next to it is a picture of the 1st 3 DBNs and CAN (Uncle Clark). I hope I can get a picture with all 4 DBNs after the little guy arrives.
My plans for finishing up the room include a couple of posters for the remaining bare wall. I am hoping to get some with classic Seattle sports moments, since none of the teams are too stellar at the moment...maybe this season...

2 comments:

Debbi said...

Grandma better get busy with that quilt. She's working up to it.

Laney said...

I'm so impressed. It is all so cute!