Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Toy Solution

Cleaning up toys was killing me.  I have a lot of things on my plate...many are difficult.  But getting the girls to pick up all the toys every night--toys that somehow managed to get all over the house--was putting a serious strain on our relationship.  Barbie Rewards solved the getting up out of bed problem totally (knock on wood), but I still couldn't get them to clean up without cajoling, reminding, threatening, and occasionally (or maybe even often) resorting to yelling.
So, I reminded myself that I--as the parent--am in charge (Derek wasn't home at the time).  I told them to pick one type of toy for the week and moved the rest to the garage.  I moved 6 different bins of toys to the garage.  I left one thing in the family room (Lego's) and 2 types of toys in their room (they picked Barbies and I just left the stuffed animals).  When Derek got home he was pretty surprised they they had so happily gone along with the plan.  He didn't think it would last.
The next day he was almost proven right.  Libby came to me in tears saying that she NEEDED the farm animals and her big dolls.  Derek masterfully distracted her with the Lego's and that was pretty much that.  
On Monday they couldn't decide which toy to have for the week.  Sarah wanted the princess drawer (that has about 100 small toys) and Libby wanted the bench with the dolls.  I let them each choose 4 items from the toy type they wanted.  They were both okay with it and we have had a good week.  Pick up time has been MUCH less difficult.  They have spent more time playing with stuff that isn't toys, but that is pretty much par for the course anyway.
There has been more creative play!
It has also decreased my desire to buy them toys, since they will spend so much of their life in the garage.
Perfect!  How many birds is it possible to kill with one stone?

No comments: