Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ragnar

When some of my friends from church asked me if I wanted to do this crazy race called the Ragnar Relay I was really tempted to say no.  Afterall I usually exercise in climate controlled spaces for set amounts of time. Most of the time I am mostly in charge of the workout.  I have done some running, but never had I trained for anything.  Maybe there was an inner runner inside of me? Maybe I would find the passion that other people have that drives them to run 26+ miles and smile about it?  Maybe I would feel left out if I didn't (like I did when I couldn't do the sprint triathalon with them all last summer because I was just a few weeks postpartum?  Well, I didn't find my inner runner, and 26 miles still seems insane.  But this race was a really, really great time!
Our amazing team.  Our name was Mellow Yellow.  Janetta, on the far left was our brave team captain.

Me waiting for my last handoff.

Van 1 getting ready to roll.  If I ever do this again, which I very well might--I will only be van 1.  The running times are better, the distances are shorter...I felt sorry for van 2.  This is our great crew freezing and getting rained on at the starting line.  

Delicious crabcake sandwich at the Train Wreck bar and grill.  Amazing.

I lost one flip flop in the van after my midnight run (actually finished about 1:30 am).  I walked into the school without it.  (And for those who know me, this is a feat because I never go barefoot!)  In the morning I ended up paying Maren $20 cash money to find it for me I was too tired and frustrated to find it myself.

One of the best perks of this adventure was spending time with MaryAnne, my favorite companion from my mission.  She then drove back to UT with me.  It would have been a long 3 days without her excellent companionship.

Van 1 looking Great as we waited for Van 2 to finish.  We had just finished a delicious greek meal.  The taste of being finished was VERY sweet!


2 comments:

Janna said...

Go team us!! I'm definitely in for another year.

Janetta said...

You are amazing! I'll never forget you kicking it in for your finish!