Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Ben's Bedroom--FINALLY

For those of you who have been following the Ben's Bedroom SAGA...it is finally done.  (Well is any project every really done?)  But it is done enough to blog.  When I get the other magnets made for the lockers, I'll post a pic.  I decided the best way to show you the finished product was a little walking tour.  At the end I will list a few things that I learned (or relearned as the case may be...)

BEFORE...We replaced the gold carpet before we moved in...and I definitely took those curtains down instantly.  But other than that, this is what it looked like until I started work last month.  I started moving him out into the guest room on August 8.  Finished on Sept. 25th.  WAY longer than the 2 weeks I planned.

Here is a video walk through of the finished product.  I am VERY pleased with how it turned out.  Libby said it just  made her jealous that their room was not cool enough.  Ugh.  Please.

What I learned...
1.  The project was much more enjoyable when I brought the iPad along and watched home improvement shows (for motivation) and Law and Order.  Seriously couldn't have made it through without this.
2.  Our house is big, therefore, no project is small.
3.  Having a double long level is very critical (thank you RAY!)
4.  Stenciling isn't as easy as it might look.
5.  Never put the wallpaper steamer directly on the carpet (the damage isn't too bad, but I can tell where it was sitting.)
6.  Going to Home Depot 4 times in one day is perfectly normal, if frustrating.
7.  Spray paint is awesome!  I used it for the alphabet magnets and to update some of the black frames from his old room.
8.  When in need of inspiration, Hobby Lobby.
9.  Electrical work isn't that scary!  I replaced the switches and outlets, and the light fixture all by myself!
10.  I need a break from projects!
Hobby Lobby :)


Hobby Lobby again!

Here is a better pic of the magnets I spray painted.  Gotta teach that kid his letters.  

No comments: