Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Summing it up...

When I skip a blogging week, it is always an overwhelming task to try to summarize the activities of 5 people for 14 days.  Okay, impossible.  Especially when one had yoga training for 3 days and one evening, and another had 5 Mariner's home games to work.  One got called as Relief Society President and had about 10 meetings in two weeks trying to figure out what she should be doing.  We had a birthday party for 2 in our rank (Derek and an early one for Ben).  2 Poems recited at the School Open House (must watch videos below), one DATE for Mom and Dad (where we got to sit an arms length from Tobolowsky aka Tobo himself!), dance pictures, dance classes...you get the picture.  The end of school is chaotic, crazy and full of overtime for daddy.  Add in 3 members in the household preparing for the dance recital, and birthday parties, and everyone gets a little stressed.  

This is what stuck out for the kids over the last few weeks.  I was gone.  A lot.  I got a few sweet notes like this.


But I am pretty happy with a few of the things that happened in these 2 weeks, so (deep breath) here goes.
I did a headstand, for longer than 2 seconds.  And it felt great!  When I see a large expanse of blank wall (anywhere) I just want to start trying to head or handstand.  I'm giddy like a little kid about my new skills I'm working on.  It is a total rush to be doing (or working on doing) something I NEVER thought my pansy neck could handle.  Turns out correct technique is pretty darn important; suddenly things become accessible.  


I made Ben a birthday "cake."  A pretty scary Hulk right?  Turns out my theory that tootsie rolls can melt enough to be moldable in the microwave was correct!  
I organized another group of kids to present the Rizzi Art book "Our Shoreline" to the School Board.  It went well.  Not as big a turn out as last time, but still really fun.  I love hearing the students say their parts so well!   

Here is a pic of the group and the school board.  Total backlight.  Ugh.  But it was super fun that we ran into Grammy Geneva there (right after I told the kids she would for sure have gone home from work by then). 


We got a piano!  And this is a very special piano.  We had a dear friend Connie that passed away last summer.  Derek and I trace the financial success of our little family to Connie starting with the work she gave him when we were newlyweds and then giving us our first Suze Orman book.  When Connie passed away, her daughter inherited Connie's baby grand piano, and sold us the one Connie had bought for her.  I am proud that it is finally in our house because organizing a piano move is serious business.  It took a couple of months to make it happen!  The kids (including Derek) are plunking away at it every chance they get.

The Poems...seriously worth the watch.




I also managed to take the kids swimming (all 3 by myself) and no one died...thanks to some alert lifeguards that is.  I have never, in all my days at pools seen a lifeguard have to go in after anyone I don't think.  I heard one lifeguard yelling to the other, heard the splash, and didn't even realize it was Ben for a second.  But it was Ben.  I didn't even realize he had wandered away from me.  That kid thinks he can swim!
But I was also proud of Libby, who passed a pretty tough swim test and then went off the diving board for the first time, and swung on a rope into the water.  She did a little belly flop and had a bit of a stomach ache after, but went a few more times.  (Peer pressure is a great thing sometimes!)

Most importantly, I survived my first two weeks as Relief Society President and so did my group of awesome sisters.  Onward and Upward!


No comments: