Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Points for Payday

For awhile now I have been trying to figure out how to solve a few problems.  The kids need some way to get spending money that I can help them keep track of.  They also needed to start paying tithing and putting some aside for savings.  I also needed a better carrot to get them to do jobs around the house.  I have often thought that kids should do chores just because they are a part of the family.  But at the same time, that gave me no leverage to encourage them to do their chores.  So, this chart was born.  I didn't post about it until I had actually used it for 3 weeks.  It is working really well.  They can earn up to 11 points a day.  That has never happened.  I am expecting them to earn as many as they can depending on what is going on.  Then we tally up on Friday.  We have an exchange rate.  Depending on the week, the points will be worth different amounts.  So far it has been 10 cents a point and they have earned about 35 points by Friday afternoon.  With their spending money, they can buy screen time from me rather than take the money.  This has been pretty effective at cutting down on screen time.  They would rather have money to buy stuff.
  On this revision I decided to add a weekend column where they can earn points over the weekend that we will tally up on Sunday night and use toward the next week.  They actually have more time to earn points on Saturdays and Sundays, depending on what is going on.  
I made a simpler version of the chart for Ben, who is about to turn 4.  
Anyway, it is great when a kid has some spare time I can just ask what they want to do to earn a point.  It is helpful in getting them to do their dinner jobs.  (BTW, Room patrol means that they make a quick-ish run through the room they are assigned for the week and tidy up.  I took pictures of what the finished, clean room should look like and they try to match it.  Sweetness Shining is sort of discretionary.  It means they are kind to their siblings, no eye rolling or nastiness.  It also means they remember to FLUSH--since we are having trouble remembering this around here lately.)  
I have also decided that since it is so rare, we will have a special prize (or options of prizes) for 10 point days.  
This takes a fair amount of work (I have to remember to check off their points every night and make about 15 minutes for payday on Friday) but so far it is totally worth it!




No comments: