Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, February 28, 2016

A Libby Post

Last night we found out that one of Derek's cousins was in a very serious snowboarding accident, and he is in a coma.  It makes you think about how much you love your kids when you hear about someone possibly losing one of theirs.  So today I dedicate a post to each of my kids: the antics, the silliness, the amazingness.
Libby is all about her DIVA face lately.  She wants to make it in just about every picture.  
This has been an interesting month for Libby.  Whole30 was a big challenge for her.  Until I started making potatoes bathed in olive oil at least once a day, she wasn't going to make it.  She complained about it frequently.  She was frustrated by all the food her classmates could eat that she couldn't.  She told everyone her mom put her on a diet.  YIKES!  The lunchroom monitor stopped me in the hall to ask about this.  I explained whole30 to her and how we were trying to figure out if gluten or dairy or sugar were causing some of Libby's ADD behaviors.  Imagine my surprise when said lunchroom monitor caught Libby eating school lunch (including the cookie) on Day 29.  And, then the school called to tell me she had used all her lunch money during the past month. This meant that she had eaten school lunch 7 times during whole30.  When confronted, she admitted to eating crispy starfish sandwiches, cheeseburgers, cookies, etc.  All while complaining that she wasn't getting to eat any of this stuff and lying to me that she was eating all of her lunch.  SIGH.  MOAN. GASP.  According to the whole30 rules, if you eat even ONE BITE of something that is not whole30 compliant, you have to start over if you truly want to eliminate inflammation and test for problems with foods as you reintroduce them.  BLAMO.  Ruined.  All my hard work with the shopping, cooking and agonizing ruined.  And, worst of all, Libby lied.  Over and over.  
I don't have the energy to start whole30 again.  Not for them (I am loving eating this way for me...).  But, I love this girl. So how could I help her make a course correction?  And understand that what she did was wrong?  
Step one:  Take away her school lunch privileges.  Her lunch card has been removed from the building.
Step two:  This one came to me as I was reading the scriptures and praying:  We buried "swords" like the warriors in the Book of Mormon who had been converted to the Lord and never wanted to fight again, but we wrote sins on them that we didn't want to repeat.  I gave Libby another paper sword and asked her what she thought she should write on it.  She knew.  She wrote "lying" on it, and "buried" it under the rug.
Step three:  I asked her if she had asked Heavenly Father for forgiveness for lying.  She said no, so I encouraged her to do so.  Her sweet, simple prayer filled the room with love and the Holy Ghost.  I hope she felt that and has learned to use the Atonement.  Who knew whole30 would have so many interesting benefits.
In other news, we got her report card from both gymnastics and school.  She is working her way toward level 2 in gymnastics.  She isn't quite there, but is getting closer every session.  
Her school report card was also good.  She got mostly 3s (at grade level) with a few 2s (emerging skills).  Her 2s are a direct result of her impatience with writing and her lack of math fact memorization.  So I'm going to work on these things at home.
Libby is so bright and fun and energetic.  She loves clothes that fit her just the way she likes them (meaning she outright rejects anything that isn't just right--unfortunately she got this from me), she is super into Story of the World, trampoline jumping, scootering, friends, "ANT Farm" (a show she is watching on Netflix), playing "Heart and Soul" on the piano (she can already play the duet with her teacher), reading her photobooks, and counting down the days until whole30 reintroduction is over.  I'm so thankful she is my kid.         




No comments: