Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Whole30 Weeks 2 and 3

We are getting into the whole30 groove.  Which still means constant cooking, eating and shopping.  But, now I know what we will eat, what to shop for, and that I have to be cooking 1 or 2 meals ahead.  It is busy, busy, and yummy!  I am loving what we are eating, and for the most part not missing what we aren't.  But the kids and Derek are still struggling with this a bit more.
A few victories:  Ben is the whole30 bomb.  He is busy asking me if we can have this or that, and then answering his own questions.  He is very matter-of-fact about the whole thing.  He has been great.  (Although he did tell Clark that he cheats every day at preschool and buddy school.)
Libby was freaking out about her class party on V-day because they were going to have rootbeer floats.  Then, she realized that she could have a (naked smoothie) popsicle.  She came up with the idea on her own, so I brought one to her class for her.  And, a bunch of kids (9 others) choose that over root beer floats.  I was pretty proud.  She also loves all the potato stuff I am making.  Homemade Jojos, baked potatoes, baked potato chips.  I am feeding them all the potatoes I can to try and keep them full. (It's still not working.  They are constantly eating.)
Sarah:  This week she put on her leotard for dance and said, "I am so skinny this week!  Last week I was fat and this week I am skinny!"  I hate that she said both of those words to describe herself.  But she is noticing a change in her body.

I am noticing some deep rooted eating triggers in myself.  We had a family movie night and I was dreading it because I knew I would want popcorn.  And I wanted it.  Badly.  So I ate fruit, then pistachios and some more fruit and more pistachios.  And I still really wanted popcorn.  But I made it.

The kids are talking already about the reintroduction of food.  We are taking votes on what will come first.  But popcorn is high on the list.  Then rice, then dairy, then sugar (ack).

I wish we could afford to eat this way 90% of the time.

Usually I make cookies for their Valentine class party.  So, I used my cookie cutter for watermelon instead.  It was time consuming (although not as time consuming as making and frosting cookies) but it was cute, yummy, and healthy.  The kids gobbled up the watermelon.

No comments: