Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Skating Time!

For years I have been wanting to get my kids skating.  But we have just been too busy.  Finally I made time for the school skating party on Thursday night.  It was a bit of a bust.  Libby is pretty good out there.  Sarah is super slow, because she just shuffles her feet.  Ben wouldn't even really give it a go because he kept falling.  Sarah even got out there and needed to go potty...and couldn't make it back in.  She left a puddle on the skate floor.  Poor thing.

So, yesterday I had decided we were taking a break from wrestling.  The post season tournaments are really fun and intense for me, but for them it usually means just watching the ipad for hours upon hours.  So, we stayed home.  We practiced piano.  We went skating!  They have a learn to skate session.  And the kids learned a lot!  Even Ben got out there and did some skating without falling.   I remembered from my grandparents the phrase, walk like a duck.  But I didn't remember what that actually meant.  Now I do.  And, if you feel yourself starting to fall, "Oh no, go low!" and squat and grab your knees.  It was great.  I highly recommend it.  I even put skates on because the kids were doing so well.  (Ben had on skates with tight wheels, so he was safer than Thursday night, but it was still major progress.)  We still have a ways to go, but we were functional skaters!    

I am hoping make this a frequent part of our Saturday.  I feel close to my grandparents--and my kids are getting a move on!  Win Win.
This is Ben on Thursday night.  No skating.  Just playing.  

Libby looking stellar on the skate floor.
This was Ben's only grumpy moment.  Somehow this is what I got a pic of.  Then I locked my phone in the locker, so I never got a pic of Sarah.  Oops.  

No comments: