Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Shorewood at STATE 2016

We had a fun trip to Tacoma, even though with didn't have any placers this year.  We didn't make it for the "Friday morning matches (which they both lost).  But in the afternoon session they each got a WIN!  Very decisive and amazing wins.  Then in the evening they each lost, eliminating them from the tournament, one match away from medaling.  Derek was so sad and disappointed.  It only helped a little when I reminded him that we didn't even know if we would be at state this year.  (And all the boys losses were to medalists, so they lost to legitimate wrestlers.)
We had booked a hotel room in Tacoma (having faith) so we could be there for Saturday too.  (And I also paid for 2 days of the tournament, but that's okay.)  We slept in the hotel with Grammy and Aunt Maren.  Then we ate the hotel breakfast (there were some whole30 compliant options), went swimming, and went home.  It ended up to be a gloriously sunny day and I got 1 billion things done at home (including washing my car which hadn't been washed all winter and was seriously disgusting).  So, for me it seemed like a WIN LOSE WIN!
I stressed out over bringing enough food to Tacoma to feed the kids that was whole30...(The managers have to bring in the food through the athlete gate for us, but this year I didn't feel guilty about this since we literally couldn't eat a single thing they sell at the Tacoma dome.)  The kids ate what I brought and never even asked for anything from the concessions.  It was amazing!  That is usually my least favorite part of these events, all the whining for junk food.  It was awesome to not have to deal with that!

The hotel pool was a bit hit.  Or should I say splash?

Sarah swimming

This is my attempt at getting a pic of Libby.  You can only see her hand.  All the kids love swimming, which makes me very happy!

Geneva giving Ben a sweet hairdo which he promptly smashed down flat.  

Rhaye with a W!

Fidele with a W!

Fidele had some blood time in his last match.  He is a junior, so hopefully we will get to see him here next year too!

Matchy Shorewood fans.  Libby can't find her sweatshirt though, so it says "SARAH" on the back.  

Ben loves Rhaye

Shorewood crew at STATE.  The new assistant coach this year is a Shorewood state placer from several years back, Brandon Leach.


No comments: