Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Figuring Out What I Need...

This winter I was in a bit of a funk.  My training business was going really well.  It took just the right amount of my time.  Kept my out of trouble (read, no time to start any expensive home projects), and kept my in great company.  I love my clients.  I was (mostly) staying on my cleaning schedule.  I was having time to be the mom I wanted to be.  Except that I was missing the spark.  The something that makes me, well, me.  You know?  I couldn't figure out what I needed, or what was missing.  Should I quit training?  Should I cook more, project more, do some crafting?  What?
Occasionally the thought would cross my mind that I should go back to teaching Group Ex.  But I was afraid; afraid of the time commitment that it takes to learn choreography, afraid of the commitment of having people depend on me to be somewhere at a certain time, afraid that I wasn't strong enough yet.
Thankfully my friend Donna taught at a time and a place that I could sub some BODYPUMP to get my feet wet again.  And though it took some effort to sync my phone with the music and pull out the notes, as soon as I started learning a BP track, my heart SANG!  I had no idea how much I had missed moving with the music, and even better, leading other people in movement to music.  I am a born BODYPUMP teacher.  The tracks lifted me up and jolted my brain back to life!  WOW!  And guess what, I was a better, happier mom taking some time to learn and share my talents.  It was amazing.
Then, I went back to dance class.  I hadn't been to dance since before my surgery either.  I was afraid of all the same stuff, but it felt great mentally and physically!  I'm in to dance for the recital this year.  It felt so good to turn and kick and have Miss Sue correct me for forgetting (as usual) to point my feet while moving across the floor.
And then, my favorite principal intern told me about an open position she taught I might want to apply for.  A teaching position.  My dream schedule (2 days a week, so I could still train my awesome clients) and dream location (at my kids' school). WHAT!  So after a whirlwind week of applications, interviews, meetings with HR to sign papers, etc. and I accepted an offer to teach!  Kindergarten Hi-Cap.  What!!  I'll be in the classroom next to Ben's, across the hall from Sarah.  I'll be working with teachers and under a principal and intern that I admire.  I will have a chance to plan a curriculum again!  I am exhilarated by the thought.
My brain and heart are so happy with these 3 huge discoveries in one month.  It is okay to be a mom, and still be me.  I can be recovered from my injury.  I can be a teacher and a learner and a dancer and a mom.
I am already planning out some freezer meals for the days I am teaching.  And I am not going to be afraid to use paper plates as needed.  It's going to be a little hairy now and then keeping up with all of this.  But I am so thankful to be out of the funk and back into a place where I am learning and growing, not stagnating and fearing.
I am thankful to my Heavenly Father for his patience with me, that he let me learn and helped me to see the right decisions when the timing was right.
  

No comments: