Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Monday, February 20, 2017

Taxes, Tacoma & Time with Mimi and Papa

Last year I happened to be in Utah when my dad (an accountant) passed out the tax returns to all my siblings.  Since I paid $600 to a tax accountant last year, I suggested that this year I would pay for his plane ticket to come up and do mine!  It ended up being a perfect weekend of fun with "Mimi and Papa" (Grandma Debbi and Grandpa Kelly).

I picked them up from the airport and we went straight to Tacoma for the State Wrestling tournament.  We had already missed the 3 SW matches of the morning, so we made good on a promise from forever ago to take my mom to the glass museum in Tacoma.  It was REALLY cool.  We loved watching them blow glass.  I gave Libby my phone so she could take pictures of the exhibits, and she took about a hundred pictures.  Literally.
Outside the glass museum (and amazing weather on Friday too!)


One of Libby's many pictures.  
 Then we rushed back to the Tacoma Dome.  We missed the first match because we were a little late.  But we saw the next two Shorewood Wrestlers take their turns on the mat.  Sadly, they both lost.  We paid $75 to get in to support the wrestlers for a total of 6 minutes.  (And this doesn't count the amount spent on nachos, snowcones, cotton candy, overpriced water, etc.)  But it was worth it to support the team!

Some people enjoyed the wrestling spectating more than others :)  Grandpa was entitled to a birthday nap!

3 State Participants with the proud coaches.  

If you've never been to the Mat Classic, 24 mats of wrestling all going simultaneously.  It is intense.
On Saturday, my Dad did my taxes.(Having a small business complicates things!)  We took the kids to their activities, and did a little shopping (DD meats for my Dad!).    In the afternoon we went to see Moana.  It was a fun movie.  I wouldn't say it is in my top 20, but it was a good rainy afternoon activity. 

In line for Moana at the Crest.  
 All day my mom had been worrying about this scrape on her arm.  Finally just before dinner I texted Derek the picture below.  Derek texted back, "Go to a clinic now.  Staph or Impetigo."  Yikes!  Sometimes it is good to have a wrestling coach for a husband.  After we ate we went to the Immediate Clinic and the doctor was like, "WOAH!  IMPETIGO!"  (Rhymes nicely, doesn't it?)  So we got some antibiotics and she was feeling better already by Sunday morning.  This is such a role reversal.  Usually we are the ones getting antibiotics for various ailments while we are in Utah.
I know, kinda yucky!
Sunday we went to church and then went into full on Randall mode.  Ate a big Sunday dinner, baked cookies, played games (even played Chicken Foot for Grandma Louise and Grandpa Kay).  And, my parents helped me make some decorations for my classroom.  They did a great job.  Reveal pictures of the classroom coming later this week, or when I get back from FL.  We will see how much I can accomplish this week. 

This morning we headed out to our annual visit to George at the University of Washington.  Literally EVERY building was closed.  (We were too early this year).  EXCEPT: the NEWLY REFURBISHED (Actually completely gutted and redone) Denny Hall.  They are still completing work on some of the offices, so it was open.  We checked it out and it is AWESOME!  Made we want to go back to school.

Hi GEORGE!

Playing "statues" outside the closed Suzzalo Library.  

Surfing on the Cedar (or Redwood or whatever kind of) Tree. 

Mommy and ME!  (I actually made it in a picture!)

Staying slightly dry.

Ben discovers Denny Hall

The new Denny is so white and bright inside.  I wanted to take 1 million pics. 

Dad and his DAWGS.

Putting his Dubs up!

Then our classic lunch at Shultzy's.  So So Good. 

Then off to the airport.  So sad to let my parents go back to Utah.  Spring break can't come soon enough.  (For more reasons than 1 this year!)

  This was in my fortune cookie on Friday night.  Great advice for me right now.
 

No comments: