Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, February 26, 2017

My First Elementary School Classroom

When I accepted the position to teach HiCap Kindergarten, I knew it would mean taking a blank slate classroom and turning it into a fun and rich learning environment. The teachers at our school have set the bar pretty high in this area. The rooms are super fun and fancy. I didn't have much time or a huge budget.
I spent about 20 hours (plus many more if you count brainstorming and recruiting others to help me). 
For 10 years I have mostly been decorating for esthetic value more than for education. But as I started in like an HgTV host, (with a cute arrow theme, because UP WE GO) I pretty quickly converted to a "form follows function" teacher mentality. I created a space for our math stories, a place for story anatomy, and a place were we can dissect some of the stories they read at home. Our entrance from the hallway is all about reminding the kids that this is where they come to work.  Designing the space actually helped me design my curriculum and vice versa. I definitely needed the massage and adjustment I got at the end of the week. Hitting the stapler about 10,000 times did a number on my neck. 
It was also cool that putting the room together was a family affair. The kids all added their ideas (and books and toys).  They made sure I brought in the kitchen hutch toy because "Mom, all the other classes have a kitchen."
Best quote of the week goes to Sarah though. Ben didn't qualify to even test into HICAP. He was bemoaning the fact that he won't be in my class. Sarah said, "Ben, you had your chance and you blew it."  That Sarah!  
Anyway, here are some before and after pictures. 




I'm kind of excited to teach math "stories" meaning basic addition and subtraction. I'm pretty good at adding single digit numbers. Any more than that and I start to struggle, as my former students can attest. 

One of our class themes. I hope to get them dancing every day. 

Kids at work. 





My parents helped make all the cool arrows. Both my mom and dad helped
improve on my original design (that came from looking at the valentine hearts hanging in one of the other teacher's rooms.)









This board has lights!
Anyway, now off to Florida for a week. Then I have 2 open houses the week I get back to meet the kids and parents. Then I start teaching!!










No comments: