Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Backup your DATA!

So this is a short blog post to explain why I didn't blog last week.  I'm in deep mourning.  For a hard drive.  That I thought was backing up to a backup drive.  And it wasn't.  We have handed it off to a pro to see if he can get our data back.  And by data, I mean all the pictures I have taken since 2007.  All the videos.  All the Les Mills releases.  All the music.  Everything except our documents. 
Thankfully I have dutifully uploaded the pictures to Shutterfly every month or so.
Some of the videos are on youtube. 
And thankfully I'm not teaching Les Mills right now, so it's not an immediate crisis.
And I'm still holding out hope that the pro will be able to salvage our data.
But seriously.  The backup drive that I bought and set up in 2016--I NEVER made sure it was working.  So, it never backed up.  Since 2016.  What an oversight!
Not going to happen again to this girl.
Monthly double checks on backups. Paying for backup to the cloud maybe? 
Thankful for Shutterfly and photobooks and calendars that have had me uploading regularly.  And thankful to my blog that has had me recording everything as we go along.
Anyway, have you backed up your computer today?
Sob. 

1 comment:

Lucy van Pelt said...

I started paying for the extra space on DropBox so that I don’t have to worry at all. I had issues with our backup drive and decided it was worth the $100 per year for the piece of mind.