Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, March 3, 2019

Mom Comes Home

The day after Presidents' Day I flew to Utah to be there with my mom for the rest of Mid-Winter Break.  I wanted to take all of us, but I didn't check out plane tickets in time and they got way too expensive.  So I thought we could drive.  Then weather.  Yuck.  So I just decided to fly down by myself.  It was a good idea.  while my  mom would have loved to see the kids, since they weren't there I was free to cook, clean and organize to help her feel ready to be back home.
The first day I got on the plane excited that she might even be with my dad in the car when they picked me up.  By the time I arrived, they knew there was a hiccup with the insurance.  They needed to approve a take home wound vac.  And they hadn't approved it yet.  Despite many calls (even my dad called them), and long hours hanging out in the hospital, it was clear by 5pm that they weren't going to approve it that day.
My mom was pretty darn discouraged.  What a stupid technicality!
So instead of approving the wound vac that day, they had to pay for one more night in the hospital!  So lame.
We took her for dinner and ice cream in the cafeteria to drown our sorrows.  What a frustrating day.
But, on Wednesday morning, things started rolling.  The wound vac approval came in first thing.  The insurance called my dad and the hospital to let them know she was good to go.  It took until about 10:30 am, and we were rolling out the door.

The Rehab floor announces when a patient is leaving the floor--and they do a "victory lap."  The nurses play the song the patient chose and everyone comes out to cheer for them.  It was a really emotional moment for all of us!  I was bawling like a baby while I was filming.  The song she chose was "Brave" by Sara Barielles.  And I tell you what--my mom has been Brave through all of this!

Some of her friends from the gym put up yellow ribbons on every possible telephone pole and mailbox on the way home.  Yellow balloons and a yellow welcome home poster on the door.  It was so amazing!  (I am tearing up now just writing about it.)
My dad and I picked up Cafe Rio for lunch and a whole bunch of prescriptions for her (mostly vitamins they want her to take to try to build her system back up.)
And then I got busy.  I cleaned out and organized the pantry, the fridge, the freezer, the window seat, and lots of cabinets.  I made meals, and brought them to her, or helped her come down for them.  I helped her to the bathroom (although after a day she was confident enough carrying the wound vac to get there on her own mostly).  I stood next to her to lend support as she went up and down the stairs.  I even gave her her IV antibiotic a couple of times.  Right before I left I even helped her run through some of her PT exercises.  It was really hard to leave.
It was an amazing week for me to be there with her.  She inspires me.  And I felt like I was really of service to her.
This trial has been such a huge challenge.  I am glad to be moving through and see her feeling so much better.
The next step is for her wound to fully close (and it's pretty close) so she can be wound vac free--and this would also be antibiotic free!
Hug the people you love!

No comments: