Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, March 5, 2023

The Week Before State

Between regionals and state, we had 4.5 days.  Basically.  Over the years I'd seen many many teams who had custom state shirts.  I'm not sure how they turn them around so fast, since you don't know which athletes qualify until Saturday evening and you show up for state on Thursday afternoon.  But this year,  decided I'd use my cricut to make it happen.  (I'm still working on this concept that just because I can...should I?). Anyway, 20 shirts later--we were ready for state!  The kids & coaches were super thankful.  I made Maren & Cara shirts too, as well as Joann, the athletic director.  Each kid's just said State Team and their name on the back.  The adults got the full list of competitors (more than SW has ever had).  They looked awesome.  
In the midst of the shirt making chaos (big thanks to Sarah, Ben & some of my students for weeding out a bunch of the logos and names) I found out that to get a coach pass this year I'd have to become an official volunteer coach.  So I also had to watch a few hours of video training and take the quizzes.  Luckily I already have my CPR and first aid.  It was nice to have the coach pass, so I could drive athletes and go in the pass door (but this year it wasn't faster, as they were searching athletes too...what a mess.) 
But anyway, we did manage to have a bit of a Valentine's meal (I ate with just Ben and his friend Story, the others ate later, haha.). During the 2 weeks leading up to V-day I had been putting compliment hearts on the kids doors, a fun tradition I heard about from Gretchen Rubin.  So you know, it made up for the actual day being chaotic with not a lot of actual togetherness. 
Derek sent me awesome flowers for Valentine's Day that arrived at school after I'd already left.  So I had to drive back and get them.  But it was worth it. 
What a crazy week! But we were ready to compete.  Libby had 3 pairs of shoes (one carried by a friend just in case.). 







 

No comments: